Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Candy washing machine doesn't turn (occasionally)

Sometimes it works just fine, but sometimes it "doesn't have enough
strength" to turn the drum. If you give it a push, it continues to
turn the drum but once it stops and has to start again, it can't. The
motor is buzzing but it can't turn the drum until you give it a push.
The symptom is stronger when the mashine is full of water (though not
overloaded with clothes) and less pronounced when it drains the water.
It seems to me it's a brushless motor (if I'm not mistaking).

Posted to alt.home.repair

The
motor is buzzing but it can't turn the drum until you give it a push.
The symptom is stronger when the mashine is full of water (though not
overloaded with clothes)

Im confused...........is this a candy washer or clothes washer? If a
candy washer.........what are you overloading it with clothes for?
Please explain.........

Either way......I would guess that you need to replace the motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 10:43 am, "dreamer" wrote:
Sometimes it works just fine, but sometimes it "doesn't have enough
strength" to turn the drum. If you give it a push, it continues to
turn the drum but once it stops and has to start again, it can't. The
motor is buzzing but it can't turn the drum until you give it a push.
The symptom is stronger when the mashine is full of water (though not
overloaded with clothes) and less pronounced when it drains the water.
It seems to me it's a brushless motor (if I'm not mistaking).

see:
http://www.candy-domestic.co.uk/company.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most likely, it is the motor. Two kinds -- repulsion start, induction
run. Starting winding is burnt out. The other type is a capacitor
start motor with a centrifugal switch. These types can be spotted with
a "can" on the side of the motor. In the first instance, the motor has
to be replaced. In the second case, the capacitor can be replaced.
Pull the motor and take it to a good motor repair shop. They should
either be able to repair it, or sell you a new one. If it is the
repulsion start - induction run type, then it is not usually worth
repairing. You should be able to get a replacement motor from your
parts distributor or dealer. About an hour's job, maybe, to pull it,
and replace it. PITA job. Wiring issues, as usual -- disconnect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 3:29 am, "professorpaul" wrote:
Most likely, it is the motor. Two kinds -- repulsion start, induction
run. Starting winding is burnt out. The other type is a capacitor
start motor with a centrifugal switch. These types can be spotted with
a "can" on the side of the motor. In the first instance, the motor has
to be replaced. In the second case, the capacitor can be replaced.
Pull the motor and take it to a good motor repair shop. They should
either be able to repair it, or sell you a new one. If it is the
repulsion start - induction run type, then it is not usually worth
repairing. You should be able to get a replacement motor from your
parts distributor or dealer. About an hour's job, maybe, to pull it,
and replace it. PITA job. Wiring issues, as usual -- disconnect.

Thanks for the details. I guess that by the "can" you actualy mean
capacitor? Few inches in length and an inch or two in diameter?
Nothing like that on my motor, just a cage and an electrical
connector. Then it should probably be th repulsion start, induction
run kind.