Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Switched outlet to always on

My obective is to turn a switched outlet (currently, both plugs are
controlled by the switch) to always on while at the same time using
the switch to control a ceiling fan I will install. The issue is
understanding the current wiring scheme which is: The switch has two
black connected to it as well as a red. The whites are spliced
together not connected to the switch. At the outlet there are two
whites connected and a red. The blacks are spliced together and not
attached. The outlet continues on to power other outlets as I believe
the switch continues on to power something else. I don't know from
where the power source is coming (the switch or outlet).

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Given the wiring scheme you describe, disconnect the red from the outlet,
install a pigtail to the wire nutted blacks and connect that to the outlet
where the red was. Now the outlet is live continuously. You can either run a
two wire cable from this location to the ceiling fan, connected to the
whites on the outlet and the disconnected red, which is controlled by the
wall switch. Or you can run a two wire cable from the switch location and
connect it to the white wires and the red , currently on the switch, leaving
the existing wires attached to the switch intact

wrote in message
oups.com...
My obective is to turn a switched outlet (currently, both plugs are
controlled by the switch) to always on while at the same time using
the switch to control a ceiling fan I will install. The issue is
understanding the current wiring scheme which is: The switch has two
black connected to it as well as a red. The whites are spliced
together not connected to the switch. At the outlet there are two
whites connected and a red. The blacks are spliced together and not
attached. The outlet continues on to power other outlets as I believe
the switch continues on to power something else. I don't know from
where the power source is coming (the switch or outlet).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 8:14 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Given the wiring scheme you describe, disconnect the red from the outlet,
install a pigtail to the wire nutted blacks and connect that to the outlet
where the red was. Now the outlet is live continuously. You can either run a
two wire cable from this location to the ceiling fan, connected to the
whites on the outlet and the disconnected red, which is controlled by the
wall switch. Or you can run a two wire cable from the switch location and
connect it to the white wires and the red , currently on the switch, leaving
the existing wires attached to the switch intact

wrote in message

oups.com...

THANKS A MILLION!