Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power consumption: new Dustbuster

Just got a new B&D Dustbuster 9.6v (CHV0600). $26 at Kmart.

If I leave it on the charger-cradle, it'll waste current just
warming the niCad or somesuch? How much?

Could use some help with the arithmetic.

Power Unit:
Input 120v 60hz 4.5w
Output 15v 130mA

If I just left it in the cradle, what would power consumption
for a full year look like? Numbers above are sufficient?

It 'pears I'm paying about 8 cent a kilowatt-hour ...

TIA,
Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

Just got a new B&D Dustbuster 9.6v (CHV0600). $26 at Kmart.

If I leave it on the charger-cradle, it'll waste current just
warming the niCad or somesuch? How much?

Could use some help with the arithmetic.

Power Unit:
Input 120v 60hz 4.5w
Output 15v 130mA

If I just left it in the cradle, what would power consumption
for a full year look like? Numbers above are sufficient?

It 'pears I'm paying about 8 cent a kilowatt-hour ...

It 'pears? How does fruit relate to electricity in this context?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
Just got a new B&D Dustbuster 9.6v (CHV0600). $26 at Kmart.

If I leave it on the charger-cradle, it'll waste current just
warming the niCad or somesuch? How much?

Could use some help with the arithmetic.

Power Unit:
Input 120v 60hz 4.5w
Output 15v 130mA

If I just left it in the cradle, what would power consumption
for a full year look like? Numbers above are sufficient?

It 'pears I'm paying about 8 cent a kilowatt-hour ...

TIA,
Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

The ratings you quoted are MAXIMUM ratings which MIGHT be reached during
the recharging of a discharged battery. Once the battery is charged the
power draw will quite likely drop a fair amount.

How much will it drop?

Difficult to say exactly, you'd have to use a current meter to measure
what it's drawing from the 120 volt line after the battery is charged.

But, even if it DID draw the full 4.5 watts all the time, ir would take
1000/4.5 = 222 hours to consume one KWH. That's about 9 days, so at 8
cents per KWH it'll burn up a little less that a penny a day, so call it
maybe $3.25 per year worst case.

Capice?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

Just got a new B&D Dustbuster 9.6v (CHV0600). $26 at Kmart.

If I leave it on the charger-cradle, it'll waste current just
warming the niCad or somesuch? How much?

Could use some help with the arithmetic.

Power Unit:
Input 120v 60hz 4.5w
Output 15v 130mA

If I just left it in the cradle, what would power consumption
for a full year look like? Numbers above are sufficient?

It 'pears I'm paying about 8 cent a kilowatt-hour ...

TIA,
Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

Leaving it in the charger may shorten the life of the battery. B&Dsays it is
OK, but others say overcharging is not good.
Cost of new battery overshadows cost of power.
Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Bress wrote:

Leaving it in the charger may shorten the life of the battery.
B&Dsays it is OK, but others say overcharging is not good.
Cost of new battery overshadows cost of power.

New battery for DustBuster, $18.00

New Dirt Devil (with batteries), $15.87 at WalMart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 22:07:36 -0500, "Charlie Bress" wrote:

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Hidden objextive of my query: to stimulate a little discussion and
maybe determine if I should just plunk the damned thang down on a table
or somesuch instead of storing it on the charger-base all the time.

Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Bress" wrote in
:

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

[...]

I leave my Dustbuster on the charger all the time it's not in use;the first
set of NiCds lasted 10 years.
There are NiCd designed specifically for trickle charge 24/7/365;DigiKey
stocks them.

Letting the Dustbuster NiCds self-discharge will shorten their life far
more than being left on the charger.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik