Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drill Chuck removal. B&D/Jacobs.

Have a B&D DR402 Hammerdrill (reversible). Needs keyless chuck. I
think the point I need made clear for me is this: The screw is
Reverse thread (LH thread), right? And you remove it with whatever
tools fits the head (flathead, phillips, etc), right? And THEN you do
the 1/4"-3/8" Allen wrench trick with the hammer counterclockwise
because there is a second set of threads involved here, right? Those
of the chuck itself. Chuck screws on shaft normally then screw/bolt
goes in reverse thread.

Didi i get that right? Never had it spelled out explicitly.

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

You have it.

New install. There is a male thread coming out the nose of the
drill, it is fairly large with a small female threaded hole in the
center. Screw on the female thread of the chuck onto the male
drill thread (right hand thread). With the jaws of the chuck wide
open, screw the "locking" bolt into the female threads of the
drill shaft (left hand thread). The locking bolt may have
Phillips, straight, torx, or Allen drive

The large Allen wrench deal is only used to jar the chuck threads
loose after the locking bolt has been removed. The Allen wrench
is used as there is NO easy, non-destructive way to hold the drill
armature stationary for the removal.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG
A live Singing Valentine quartet,
a sophisticated and elegant way to say I LOVE YOU!
(local)
http://www.singingvalentines.com/ (national)

wrote in message
ups.com...
Have a B&D DR402 Hammerdrill (reversible). Needs keyless chuck.
think the point I need made clear for me is this: The screw is
Reverse thread (LH thread), right? And you remove it with
whatever
tools fits the head (flathead, phillips, etc), right? And THEN
you do
the 1/4"-3/8" Allen wrench trick with the hammer
counterclockwise
because there is a second set of threads involved here, right?
Those
of the chuck itself. Chuck screws on shaft normally then
screw/bolt
goes in reverse thread.

Didi i get that right? Never had it spelled out explicitly.

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

3/8 capacity by 24

1/2 capacity by 20

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG
A live Singing Valentine quartet,
a sophisticated and elegant way to say I LOVE YOU!
(local)
http://www.singingvalentines.com/ (national)

wrote in message
oups.com...

Nice! Thanks D. That spells it out. Now I know. Now to find
out if
my DR402 Type 3 needs a 20 or 24 thread chuck. Anyone?
Kevin