Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Will Dryer on Top of Washer be too much Weight for my Floor?

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a Washer / Dryer Unit in which the Dryer is
directly on top of the Washer. This will be replacing an old Washer /
Dryer Unit that were Side-By-Side. I live in a townhouse (not that
that matters). They will be going in on the 2nd Floor, and I'm
concerned that the weight might be too much for the floors. Could
this pose a problem? How would I find out if the weight of the Dryer
on top of the Washer is indeed too much for the floor?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a Washer / Dryer Unit in which the Dryer is
directly on top of the Washer. This will be replacing an old Washer /
Dryer Unit that were Side-By-Side. I live in a townhouse (not that
that matters). They will be going in on the 2nd Floor, and I'm
concerned that the weight might be too much for the floors. Could
this pose a problem? How would I find out if the weight of the Dryer
on top of the Washer is indeed too much for the floor?

Not a problem- the dryer is just a couple of tin boxes and a motor- no
significant weight there. Couple of hundred pounds, max. Look on the side of
the box in the store, or on the data plate, or on the manufacturer web site.
On a second floor install like that, I would take advantage of the empty
room to put down a catch pan, with drain if plausible, and maybe one of
those auto water shutoff switches, for the washer. There is a reason washers
are usually on the lowest level- at some point, almost all of them overflow
or leak, at least a little.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a Washer / Dryer Unit in which the Dryer is
directly on top of the Washer. This will be replacing an old Washer /
Dryer Unit that were Side-By-Side. I live in a townhouse (not that
that matters). They will be going in on the 2nd Floor, and I'm
concerned that the weight might be too much for the floors. Could
this pose a problem? How would I find out if the weight of the Dryer
on top of the Washer is indeed too much for the floor?

Not a problem- the dryer is just a couple of tin boxes and a motor- no
significant weight there. Couple of hundred pounds, max. Look on the side of
the box in the store, or on the data plate, or on the manufacturer web site.

Maybe a little more. One of the GE products I just checked
was spec'ed with a net weight of 277 pounds. Add a bit for
water and clothes when it's in use.

Even so, it's going to be the equivalent of a couple of
adults -- not a floor loading problem for anything with
half-decent construction.

On a second floor install like that, I would take advantage of the empty
room to put down a catch pan, with drain if plausible, and maybe one of
those auto water shutoff switches, for the washer. There is a reason washers
are usually on the lowest level- at some point, almost all of them overflow
or leak, at least a little.

Good point. Ceiling repairs are such a pain!

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting a Washer / Dryer Unit in which the Dryer is
directly on top of the Washer. They will be going in on the 2nd Floor,
and I'm
concerned that the weight might be too much for the floors. Could
this pose a problem?

Not a concern at all. The weight will be over at least two joists. In the
scheme of things, they are not all that heavy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 01:38:17 GMT, wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Last time I lived in an apartment, someone above me had a leaking
washer. The first I knew of it was water appearing INSIDE the ceiling
light in my apartment.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

What is a "auto water shutoff switches" ? Where can I buy one? Can
you send me a link?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 8:22�am, wrote:
What is a "auto water shutoff switches" ? *Where can I buy one? *Can
you send me a link?

Thanks

it automatically turns on water ONLY when washer is on. so water in
lines arent pressurized unless washer is in use.

theres also a leak pan the washer sits in, you run a drain line off it
outdoors or to basement. so leaks dont do damage

finally theres a water sensor alarm, its sounds alarm when leak occurs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 Jan 2007 06:40:01 -0800, "
wrote:

On Jan 29, 8:22?am, wrote:
What is a "auto water shutoff switches" ? here can I buy one?

an
you send me a link?

Thanks

it automatically turns on water ONLY when washer is on. so water in
lines arent pressurized unless washer is in use.

Are those valves any less likely to fail than the hoses?

theres also a leak pan the washer sits in, you run a drain line off it
outdoors or to basement. so leaks dont do damage

finally theres a water sensor alarm, its sounds alarm when leak occurs.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

if alve failed the most that would likely occur is water on all the
time to hoses.

being its a fixed position permanetely installed item it should be
highly reliable.

flood from washer almosat certinally covered by homeowners insurance.

once homeownewrs pays for flood they will most likely require a auto
shutoff valve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 6:22 pm, wrote:
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a Washer / Dryer Unit in which the Dryer is
directly on top of the Washer. This will be replacing an old Washer /
Dryer Unit that were Side-By-Side. I live in a townhouse (not that
that matters). They will be going in on the 2nd Floor, and I'm
concerned that the weight might be too much for the floors. Could
this pose a problem? How would I find out if the weight of the Dryer
on top of the Washer is indeed too much for the floor?

Thanks.

I'm sure that the floor would support the weight, but you might find
that there will be some vibration. I did this in a bungalow on the
main floor, and with both the washer and the dryer running, there is
some evident vibration in the floor.

In fairness, this might be more due to the high speed of a front

good luck.

maurice