Posted to alt.home.repair

Default looking for opinions on unit heater for garage

I'm planning on getting a natural gas unit heater installed in my
garage, and I had a couple questions.

1) How much difference is there between brands? So far I have one quote
with a Lennox/Armstrong one, and another with a Reznor/Cayenne.

2) The two guys I've spoken with so far both thought that I'd be better
off venting it vertically even though the unit can be horizontally
vented. Both of them mentioned fewer corrosion problems that way. Does
this sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Crhis
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 1:16 pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
I'm planning on getting a natural gas unit heater installed in my
garage, and I had a couple questions.

1) How much difference is there between brands? So far I have one quote
with a Lennox/Armstrong one, and another with a Reznor/Cayenne.

Gas heaters are simple devices and I bet most brands are OK. Go with
price, appearance, and warranty is what I say.

2) The two guys I've spoken with so far both thought that I'd be better
off venting it vertically even though the unit can be horizontally
vented. Both of them mentioned fewer corrosion problems that way. Does
this sound reasonable?

A vertical vent is most preferred since it is a more effective vent.
Horizontal runs are common since it eliminates the problems associated
with cutting holes in the roof. So, horizontal runs are kept to the
minimum just one run to exit the wall and then straight up from there.
Both solutions are acceptable practice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 26, 1:16 pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
I'm planning on getting a natural gas unit heater installed in my
garage, and I had a couple questions.

1) How much difference is there between brands? So far I have one quote
with a Lennox/Armstrong one, and another with a Reznor/Cayenne.

I've had Modine unit heaters in commercial service since 1974 which are
still working just fine. Recently installed their 'Hot Dawg' unit
heater in my garage and it was a piece of cake. All the components are
top drawer quality, the fit and finish are first rate. The price was
also better than the six or so others I looked at. Do a Google search
for online pricing to see how much you can save.

2) The two guys I've spoken with so far both thought that I'd be better
off venting it vertically even though the unit can be horizontally
vented. Both of them mentioned fewer corrosion problems that way. Does
this sound reasonable?

Agree on the vertical vent. Metalbestos double wall is easy to work
with and has adapters that are perfect for the Modine. All the higher
efficiency unit heaters these days make a lot more commotion firing up
than the older units, so consider hanging your heater on resilient
mounts if that might be a problem. HTH

Joe

garage consumer unit Paul Green UK diy 0 July 3rd 06 12:15 AM
garage consumer unit Paul Green UK diy 0 July 3rd 06 12:11 AM
Looking for opinions on new garage door opener ESM Home Repair 6 October 17th 05 06:36 PM
Need opinions, Carrier vs Rheem (4-ton, 12SEER unit) alt.home.repair Home Repair 49 August 24th 05 09:58 PM
Heater unit problem... Robert Home Repair 7 November 1st 04 11:42 AM