Robert

Default Heater unit problem...

It was cold enough for the heat to go on, and although the fan started
blowing (forced hot air system), cold air was coming out. I went downstairs
and I see that there is no ignition, so I'm guessing the ignitor is shot.
This is a 10 yr old American Standard, Freedom 78 unit. The question is, is
the igniter something I can change myself, or is it time to call the heating
people?

Red Neckerson

"NameQwest2" wrote

:-(( (Actually, I was kind-of leery fixing it myself. I always fear that
I'll
do something wrong and the furnace will blow up as I'm sleeping some
night. I
slept better knowing it had been done professionally). Plus, even if I
had
attempted to do it myself, I don't even know where I'd get the part.

Good point.

That was the point I was trying to make:

It's not rocket science, but how much is piece-of-mind worth?

Greg O

"ZZonka Tonka" "Spam_Me"@duct_tape_the 8th_wonder of the world.com wrote
in message m...
I'd check for current at the igniter with a multi meter. If you have

current at
the points the igniter connects, when the ingniter is supposed to heat up,

then
I'd try a new igniter. That's what I'd do.

Current flow with a bad ignitor??
Nope ain't gonna happen.
Greg

Robert

"Greg O" wrote in message

"ZZonka Tonka" "Spam_Me"@duct_tape_the 8th_wonder of the world.com wrote
in message m...
I'd check for current at the igniter with a multi meter. If you have

current at
the points the igniter connects, when the ingniter is supposed to heat
up,

then
I'd try a new igniter. That's what I'd do.

Current flow with a bad ignitor??
Nope ain't gonna happen.
Greg

So, do you agree that it sounds like a bad ignitor?

Greg O

"Robert" wrote in message
rvers.com...
"Greg O" wrote in message

"ZZonka Tonka" "Spam_Me"@duct_tape_the 8th_wonder of the world.com

wrote
in message m...
I'd check for current at the igniter with a multi meter. If you have

current at
the points the igniter connects, when the ingniter is supposed to heat
up,

then
I'd try a new igniter. That's what I'd do.

Current flow with a bad ignitor??
Nope ain't gonna happen.
Greg

So, do you agree that it sounds like a bad ignitor?

No, It could be, but it could be other parts too.
No, I will not give someone advise on fixing their gas furnace over the
'net. I do not know your limitations!
Greg

Robert

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Robert" wrote in message
rvers.com...
"Greg O" wrote in message

"ZZonka Tonka" "Spam_Me"@duct_tape_the 8th_wonder of the world.com

wrote
in message m...
I'd check for current at the igniter with a multi meter. If you have
current at
the points the igniter connects, when the ingniter is supposed to heat
up,
then
I'd try a new igniter. That's what I'd do.

Current flow with a bad ignitor??
Nope ain't gonna happen.
Greg

So, do you agree that it sounds like a bad ignitor?

No, It could be, but it could be other parts too.
No, I will not give someone advise on fixing their gas furnace over the
'net. I do not know your limitations!
Greg

I fully understand, I wouldn't want to do that either, because you don't
know who is on the keyboard, at the other end. Sorry I made is sound like
you *had* to give me advice. I sincerely did not intend to.

In any case, I just finished replacing the glow plug. $26 for the part, one
screw to unscrew, one plug to unplug (not even 5 minutes total time), and
the house is already a roasty 66 degrees. Luckily, it wasn't anything more
serious.

b-n-d emerson

I would still have it looked at. on most forced air gas furnaces, the
fan will not come on until the output temp rises to a factory set temp
and runs after the flame goes out to cool down the heat exchanger.
someone may have "worked on" your furnaces in the past.

body bgcolor="oldlace" text="black"

Robert

"b-n-d emerson" wrote in message
I would still have it looked at. on most forced air gas furnaces, the
fan will not come on until the output temp rises to a factory set temp
and runs after the flame goes out to cool down the heat exchanger.
someone may have "worked on" your furnaces in the past.

As I remember it, the fan came on first from the day they installed it,
about 10 years ago. The only person that has worked on it, in the past, was
the HVAC person servicing it.