Posted to alt.home.repair

Default RiteTemp Home Heat Thermostats ?

Hello:

Will be looking to buy a new heat-only thermostat for the house.

See these RiteTemp brands at Home Depot and elsewhere.

One of their styles seems to fit our needs a bit better than any of
Honeywells.

Do these RiteTemp have a good rep., or should I forget them and go, as
usual, with Honeywell ?

Any other brands that have a good reputation ?

The Honeywell these days seems to be made in Hungary, believe it or not.
All th others, China, of course.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 9:13 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello:

Will be looking to buy a new heat-only thermostat for the house.

See these RiteTemp brands at Home Depot and elsewhere.

One of their styles seems to fit our needs a bit better than any of
Honeywells.

Do these RiteTemp have a good rep., or should I forget them and go, as
usual, with Honeywell ?

Any other brands that have a good reputation ?

The Honeywell these days seems to be made in Hungary, believe it or not.
All th others, China, of course.

Thanks,
Bob

Don;t know about the RiteTemp, but here's 2 features I really like:

Adaptive Recovery - You just set the time in the morning that you want
it to be back to temp X and the thermostat figures out how much earlier
to actually fire up the furnace based on recent experience.

Vacation Hold - You can set a temp for X days and have it resume normal
sched after that. Which means if you;re going to be away for 4 days,
you can have the house back to temp when you arrive.

The Honeywell VisionPro models have those features, which is why I went
with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 09:13:01 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Will be looking to buy a new heat-only thermostat for the house.

See these RiteTemp brands at Home Depot and elsewhere.

One of their styles seems to fit our needs a bit better than any of
Honeywells.

Do these RiteTemp have a good rep., or should I forget them and go, as
usual, with Honeywell ?

Any other brands that have a good reputation ?

The Honeywell these days seems to be made in Hungary, believe it or not.
All th others, China, of course.

Thanks,
Bob

imho,

I have a honewell, 2stage heating programmible thermastat. It cost
bucks, I love it. Recently I upgraded a simple bimetalic 240v
baseboard to a ritetemp(one with a battery control). It cost very
little bucks, but the job it does is great, it functions as designed,
and for a cheap upgrade, it worked.

So if one low level product is any indication of the whole product
line, I think I will be leaning towards ritetemps in the future.

Just my observations.

tom @ www.FreeCreditCheckGuide.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The one thing I like about the Honeywell
units is they use a, for lack of
a better term, software anticipator. It
tends to re-adjust from cold outside
temps to warmer outside temps. The old
heater anticipator was a kludge
at best, however, for its time, worked
ok. The Honeywell's system works
very well. I don't know if other brands
do this. I have had some experience
with early digital units that suffered
real bad from cycle-itis. I had one and
dumped it quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm on my 4th ritetemp in about 5 years. If you touch them w/ a static
charge they get fried. The only reason I keep getting them is because
home depot will only give you a replacement and not money back. I'd
stay away, or dont loose your receipt.