Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace Natural Gas Forced Air Central Furnace

I need to replace my natural gas forced air central furnace. I live in
Scarsdale, NY. My furnace is 20 years old. The contractor we are
speaking to wants to install one of the two furnaces below for a total
charge of $3,300 [including labor and 1 year service contract]. I
don't trust this contractor because he originally quoted us a price of
$5,300 and reduced it to $3,300 when he heard a competitor would do the
job for $3,500. Should I trust this guy? Do you know of anyone in New
York who can do the job for less?

$3,300
Bryant Model 310, 312
Seer Tempstar Gas Carrier

I also want to replace my air conditioning unit. The same man quoted
me a price of $4,900 for parts, labor and 1 year service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deepak" wrote in message
oups.com...
The contractor we are
speaking to wants to install one of the two furnaces below for a total
charge of $3,300 [including labor and 1 year service contract]. I
don't trust this contractor because he originally quoted us a price of
$5,300 and reduced it to $3,300 when he heard a competitor would do the
job for $3,500. Should I trust this guy?

I'd go with the $3500 guy. Anyone that dives that much on price is not
trustworthy IMO. He may do a hack job to save a few pennies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 10:32 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Deepak" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

The contractor we are
speaking to wants to install one of the two furnaces below for a total
charge of $3,300 [including labor and 1 year service contract]. I
don't trust this contractor because he originally quoted us a price of
$5,300 and reduced it to $3,300 when he heard a competitor would do the
job for $3,500. Should I trust this guy?I'd go with the $3500 guy. Anyone that dives that much on price is not

trustworthy IMO. He may do a hack job to save a few pennies.

Aren't those 80% furnaces? If I were living in NY, given energy
prices, possible tax credits or utility rebates, I'd likely be going
with a 90+% furnace