Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water soaked hardwood floor

I kept one of my plants in the hardwood floor area and forgot to place
the plate at the bottom. After 2 weeks I realised my floor was soaked
with water and there were black stains on the floor?
Is there any remedy for it that I can do myself instead of hiring
contractors? I am very inexperienced in handy work, so please give me
thorough instructions to follow through. Your help will be highly
appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sonia wrote:
I kept one of my plants in the hardwood floor area and forgot to place
the plate at the bottom. After 2 weeks I realised my floor was soaked
with water and there were black stains on the floor?
Is there any remedy for it that I can do myself instead of hiring
contractors? I am very inexperienced in handy work, so please give me
thorough instructions to follow through. Your help will be highly
appreciated.

Removing that stain and refinishing the floor is not something a novice
with no experience can do!. I also would ant to know that any
contractor would know what he was doing.. Experience and knowing what
and how to use is a heap big factor here. When you get the cost you
might want to just cover the spot and live with it.
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair

sonia wrote:

I kept one of my plants in the hardwood floor area and forgot to place
the plate at the bottom. After 2 weeks I realised my floor was soaked
with water and there were black stains on the floor?
Is there any remedy for it that I can do myself instead of hiring
contractors? I am very inexperienced in handy work, so please give me
thorough instructions to follow through. Your help will be highly
appreciated.

Try rust remover on a small spot. Doubtful anything but sanding will
take it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

sonia wrote:
I kept one of my plants in the hardwood floor area and forgot to place
the plate at the bottom. After 2 weeks I realised my floor was soaked
with water and there were black stains on the floor?
Is there any remedy for it that I can do myself instead of hiring
contractors? I am very inexperienced in handy work, so please give me
thorough instructions to follow through. Your help will be highly
appreciated.

Perhaps you can read my post about treating hardwood decks or floors ,
made a while back. I used Oxiclean. Try a couple teaspoons in a quart.
Lighty wipe the floor and let dry. Reapply as needed. This may leave
some kind of spot in this area. First try wetting just the spot and see
if that works.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

zek wrote:
sonia wrote:
I kept one of my plants in the hardwood floor area and forgot to place
the plate at the bottom. After 2 weeks I realised my floor was soaked
with water and there were black stains on the floor?
Is there any remedy for it that I can do myself instead of hiring
contractors? I am very inexperienced in handy work, so please give me
thorough instructions to follow through. Your help will be highly
appreciated.

Perhaps you can read my post about treating hardwood decks or floors ,
made a while back. I used Oxiclean. Try a couple teaspoons in a quart.
Lighty wipe the floor and let dry. Reapply as needed. This may leave
some kind of spot in this area. First try wetting just the spot and see
if that works.

Let me know how this worked for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sonia wrote:
I kept one of my plants in the hardwood floor area and forgot to place
the plate at the bottom. After 2 weeks I realised my floor was soaked
with water and there were black stains on the floor?
Is there any remedy for it that I can do myself instead of hiring
contractors? I am very inexperienced in handy work, so please give me
thorough instructions to follow through. Your help will be highly
appreciated.

move the plant

let it dry for quite some time

sand the finish off and around it a fair bit

sand till most of the stain is gone, it won't all go away

bleach the area that is still stained

don't sand after bleaching, or you will have to do it again
Posted to alt.home.repair

Check Wood Bleach labels in paint stores and fins one with Oxalic Acid
as only ingredient listed. Counteracts the dark stain in oak and
other woods with tannins reacting to metal in water.

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:15:01 GMT, yourname wrote:

sonia wrote:
I kept one of my plants in the hardwood floor area and forgot to place
the plate at the bottom. After 2 weeks I realised my floor was soaked
with water and there were black stains on the floor?
Is there any remedy for it that I can do myself instead of hiring
contractors? I am very inexperienced in handy work, so please give me
thorough instructions to follow through. Your help will be highly
appreciated.

move the plant

let it dry for quite some time

sand the finish off and around it a fair bit

sand till most of the stain is gone, it won't all go away

bleach the area that is still stained

don't sand after bleaching, or you will have to do it again

Soaked monitor works after drying! JR North Electronics Repair 4 February 3rd 06 04:07 AM
trouble-shooting water-soaked crawlspace insualtion [email protected] Home Repair 9 August 14th 05 11:10 PM
Soaked cordless phone Michael Salem Electronics Repair 3 April 11th 05 10:27 PM
hardwood floor ? Fire&Ice Home Repair 8 February 2nd 05 04:04 PM
Hardwood Floor - High Spot in Floor Steve Johnson Home Repair 2 March 27th 04 10:58 PM