Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore beltdrive agitator problem

Got a agitator problem that has me stumped. The agitator works
intermittantly. If I fill the washer with water and no clothes the
agitator works fine, cannot stop it with my hands, add a few clothes
and the agitator will stop. Take out a couple of items and it starts
back up again. Took the agitator off and it is not stripped. Got one
of the kids to add clothes while I looked underneath and noticed when
it would stop agitating the agitate cam bar fork would lift up the cam
bar and it would stop the agitation. My next move was to start the
agitation and lift up on the agitator from the bottom(from inside the
machine). As I did this while it is agitating I noticed a slight up
and down play in the shaft. As it reached the top of the play the
agitation stopped, let go of the agitator and as it bottomed out the
agitation started back up. It seems as if the clothes are causing the
agitator to pull up on the shaft.

I figure that the shaft should not be able to move like this(maybe I
am wrong and it is supposed to be able to have some play in it) and is
causing the the problem.

Anybody got a solution for me?

Richard