Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dust and allergies

Is it better to have things like plastic plants around to catch dust ... if
they are clened regularly than to have nothing? It seems to me that they act
like an air filter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AKA gray asphalt wrote:
Is it better to have things like plastic plants around to catch dust
... if they are clened regularly than to have nothing? It seems to me
that they act like an air filter.

Well the dust you see on the plants would just find it's way to the
floor or other areas if the plant was not there. They don't collect more
than the usual dust. I would guess that vacuuming the floor is easier than
cleaning the plastic plants. So my guess is they are not doing any good
from the dust point of view.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:00:52 -0800, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:

Is it better to have things like plastic plants around to catch dust ... if
they are clened regularly than to have nothing? It seems to me that they act
like an air filter.

imho:

Carpeting collects dust too, but I've never heard anyone recommend
carpet, even with frequent vacuuming, for people with lung problems.

Besides, most plastic plants look ah..... plastic to me. Get the real
ones, they filter the air of bad stuff.

Just thinking out loud, not a carpet/plant expert.....

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
AKA gray asphalt wrote:
Is it better to have things like plastic plants around to catch dust
... if they are clened regularly than to have nothing? It seems to me
that they act like an air filter.

Well the dust you see on the plants would just find it's way to the
floor or other areas if the plant was not there. They don't collect more
than the usual dust. I would guess that vacuuming the floor is easier
than cleaning the plastic plants. So my guess is they are not doing any
good from the dust point of view.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

That makes sense ... but I don't see much dust on the floors and the plants
I cleaned yesterday hadn't been cleaned for a couple of years, si they
really looked dirty. Probably just an optical illusion. : -)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought an Orek air cleaner and took it back after trying a Honewell 17000.
It costed about $120. It drew cat hair out of the air the first day and my
allergies were better the next day. I've had 3 bad days out of 10 and I
think it's getting better. It was 10 out of 10 before.

There is a newer model 17005 that is programmable and has a remote. The unit
is noisy but when it means not having sinus headaches there is no question
of it being worth it. The program lets it run while I'm asleep but I haven't
turned it off yet... actually both of them are running 24/7.