Posted to alt.home.repair

Default anyone with mold recurrence after remediation?

I am looking for anyone who has a personal experience-good, bad, or otherwise-
with dealing with mold remediation. How was the house remediated? How
extensive was the mold? What kind was it? How long has it been, and has it
returned? Looking at buying a house that has mold, water problem solved, and
remediator says gutting and restoration of affected area (lower level of a
trilevel house) and removal of carpeting in upper levels, along with complete
cleansing and fungicide of walls and surfaces in the whole house etc will
remove the mold and prevent its recurrence IF the water problem does not
continue or recur. Anyone care to comment on your experience with this?? We
ae trying to decide if this is worth tackling. We love the house, and can
get it from the bank and repair it for at least $60,000 less than the other
houses in the neighborhood. Thanks for any comments!

Posted to alt.home.repair

you will actually not be happy with a home with your mold fears, mostly
because you asked, and you are also describing a major contamination.
here in buffalo ny mold is tracked in daily by the kids and dogs from
the dirt in your backyard, and is growth activated by moisture wherever
it sits. you might have your own present basement mold tested. health
of you and your family may not be immediately affected by the mold, but
the stress it induces will directly have an unhealthy effect.
my neighbor in his single family home had a basement condensation on a
water line. his extended coverage policy of his insurance company
satisfied a $3000 claim for the mold remediation in the basement. they
liked it.
see:
http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/homeowner.htm
see:
http://www.cdc.gov/mold/

dancer1 via HomeKB.com wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

It all depends on how well they do their job. Done right it will be as
good as new. If the same things happen, you will have mold again. Actually
you will always have mold, it is only a matter of the amount. The original
cause needs to be addressed, all damaged materials removed and replaced and
cleaning and killing of existing molds done.

When making your decision consider this. In many areas you will be
required to disclose the prior mold problem to perspective buyers and that
could easily make it far more difficult to sell and reduce it's value.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am not trying to be paranoid, only realistic. I understand mold spores are
everywhere, inside and outside, and that they become a problem when allowed
to grow in a suitable (moist) environment. We plan to take all necessary
precautions to avoid any potential for flooding/water damage, installation of
dehumidifier, obtaining HEPA filters for the furnace, and HEPA aircleaners
to remove circulating spores. We will have the ducts cleaned and furnace/AC
checked thoroughly as well. With all the above, chance of recurrence SHOULD
be fairly low, right??? That's all we want to know. Has anyone taken
precautions like this and STILL had a problem??

buffalobill wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
Message posted via HomeKB.com
http://www.homekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/repair/200701/1

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I'm not sure where you are located but if you are certain that the
water issue has been resolved, I would highly recommend contacting a
rep. from Medallion Healthy Homes. I'm in the Toronto Canada area and
there are several dealers here and a quick google found several of them
in various other provinces and US States.
I had this Ozone "shock" treatment done on my home after a mold issue
and haven't had any mold issues since (3+ years). You'll have to
evacuate for about 6 hours and remove anything living (that you want to
keep) like pets and plants etc. The cost was in the neighbourhood of
$400CDN. Your first impression when you return indoors will be better
than walking outdoors after a thunderstorm when the air is extremely
pure. If the home had been smoked in, that odour will be completely
gone as well.

Good luck,

Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

We have not yet purchased the house, it is a repo (bank owned) with current
mold. We are debating if full PROFESSIONAL remediation (extesive gutting and
restoration, basically) will solve the problem. If we can get the bank to
lower the asking price, plus the $28,000-30,000 (one estimate so far) we can
still have a house with almost $60,000.00 in equity at closing! Our only
concern is if the mold can return in the future, or continue to cause health
problems after its removed. At least we don't have the headache of having to
remove all our posessions first!
How extensive was your mold problem? In a basement, attic etc? let me know.
Thats for your response!

gerdman wrote:
I am looking for anyone who has a personal experience-good, bad, or otherwise-
with dealing with mold remediation. How was the house remediated? How

[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
[...]

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer1 via HomeKB.com
[...]

I had a mold problem in one of the bedrooms. Took a while to diagnose the cause of the mold. I actually spent a lot of money have the roof 'repaired' as I was led to believe there was some kind of leakage from the roof. The mold was in the corner of the room and problematic enough that I had the have the mould removed on that wall and replasted. After talking to a friend I was advised to just have an airvent put in the room. I got someone to come round with a diamond cutter and drill a hole through the wall and just cover them up with some cheap plastic vents. It worked a treat. For a cheaper alternative you could try getting a vent put in the glass in your windows. Just to be on the safe side I did the cleansing and fugicide of the walls, but its pointless doing that unless you have sorted out the root cause of the problem. Also had a mold problem in the kitchen which was resolved by sorting out the leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dancer1 via HomeKB.com wrote:
We have not yet purchased the house, it is a repo (bank owned) with current
mold. We are debating if full PROFESSIONAL remediation (extesive gutting and
restoration, basically) will solve the problem. If we can get the bank to
lower the asking price, plus the $28,000-30,000 (one estimate so far) we can
still have a house with almost $60,000.00 in equity at closing! Our only
concern is if the mold can return in the future, or continue to cause health
problems after its removed. At least we don't have the headache of having to
remove all our posessions first!
How extensive was your mold problem? In a basement, attic etc? let me know.
Thats for your response!

My mold problem was originally from the basement. A leaking kitchen
waste pipe was cracked and the moisture provided a healthy envirornment
for mold to thrive upon in the studs and walls downstairs.
Fortunately, there was very little drywall to deal with and a quick
blast of chlorine solution killed what was visible and the ozone did
the rest. Unless you're in New Orleans it would be worthwhile to
consult with Medallion for an assesment of the mold contamination and
potential for remediation. I strongly suggest that you don't do this
yourself, mold is very toxic and if you have more than about 3 square
feet of contaminated area the risk to yourself and family is
tremendous! The spores will be everywhere, including the attic, the
source is what you must remove and eliminate.... Ozone will kill the
rest permanently.

Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have already contacted a mold professional, NO WAY would I do this myself
since our water issue was the lower level, not running downward, that is
where majority of the extesive removal will take place, with thorough
cleansing/fungicide and repaint of upper floors and removal of ALL carpet in
the house (which we would have done otherwise-it's worn and UGLY!) Thanks for
your advice!

gerdman wrote:
We have not yet purchased the house, it is a repo (bank owned) with current
mold. We are debating if full PROFESSIONAL remediation (extesive gutting and

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I own Mold Shield in Cincinnati Ohio. We carry products for mold
remediation and also modl prevention. Thats the main focus of the
business. Prevent it before it grows.

You can get products to do it yourself through Protective Coatings
Group. they are the best on market. Also carry a 25 year warranty on
them.

Bill Hawke
Mold Shield
513-858-1999
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Although you have to disclose it- if you have a warranty of coverage
for 25 years for total remediation should it reoccur. Ask around and
see if any remediators give you a warranty. Mold Shield products carry
25 year mold remediation warranty that is transferable with the home.
Mold Prevention is the latest technolgy on the market and Mold
Remediators do not like this. They have not been nor will they be
regulated and can charge whatever they want- and not warranty the work.
The response mold will always been there is a scare tactic. Yes spores
maybe there- but water and moisture along with a food source. Take one
away and no mold.

Bill Hawke
Mold Shield

Joseph Meehan wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

gerdman wrote:
[...]

-- Have the remediator spray a mold prevention product on the cleaned surfaces. Lok up Protective Coatings Group based in Florida. They have mold removal and mold prevention products.

Bill
Message posted via HomeKB.com
http://www.homekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/repair/200701/1

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to dancer1 via HomeKB.com, Borderbec wrote:
I am in the same boat as you. There is extensive mold in a house we love
and its a short sale. What did you decide to do? Did the bank pay for the
mold remediation and fixing the dry wall they gutted out and lower the
asking price? How much did it all end up costing? This thread was helpful
for me.

Thanks!

Rebecca

u31044 wrote:

I am not trying to be paranoid, only realistic. I understand mold spores

are
everywhere, inside and outside, and that they become a problem when allowed
to grow in a suitable (moist) environment. We plan to take all necessary
precautions to avoid any potential for flooding/water damage, installation

of
dehumidifier, obtaining HEPA filters for the furnace, and HEPA aircleaners
to remove circulating spores. We will have the ducts cleaned and

furnace/AC
checked thoroughly as well. With all the above, chance of recurrence

SHOULD
be fairly low, right??? That's all we want to know. Has anyone taken
precautions like this and STILL had a problem??

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...on-186538-.htm