Posted to alt.home.repair
gerdman gerdman is offline

Default anyone with mold recurrence after remediation?

dancer1 via HomeKB.com wrote:
We have not yet purchased the house, it is a repo (bank owned) with current
mold. We are debating if full PROFESSIONAL remediation (extesive gutting and
restoration, basically) will solve the problem. If we can get the bank to
lower the asking price, plus the $28,000-30,000 (one estimate so far) we can
still have a house with almost $60,000.00 in equity at closing! Our only
concern is if the mold can return in the future, or continue to cause health
problems after its removed. At least we don't have the headache of having to
remove all our posessions first!
How extensive was your mold problem? In a basement, attic etc? let me know.
Thats for your response!

My mold problem was originally from the basement. A leaking kitchen
waste pipe was cracked and the moisture provided a healthy envirornment
for mold to thrive upon in the studs and walls downstairs.
Fortunately, there was very little drywall to deal with and a quick
blast of chlorine solution killed what was visible and the ozone did
the rest. Unless you're in New Orleans it would be worthwhile to
consult with Medallion for an assesment of the mold contamination and
potential for remediation. I strongly suggest that you don't do this
yourself, mold is very toxic and if you have more than about 3 square
feet of contaminated area the risk to yourself and family is
tremendous! The spores will be everywhere, including the attic, the
source is what you must remove and eliminate.... Ozone will kill the
rest permanently.

Gary