Posted to alt.home.repair

Default flourescent lights hung under copper water pipes

Hi, I am trying to brighten up the laundry room by hanging those
inexpensive flourescent tube lights. One of the areas would require it
to be hung under the copper water pipes to the house. Bbad idea or
will it matter?

thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
Fine, just don't bump your head

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am trying to brighten up the laundry room by hanging those
inexpensive flourescent tube lights. One of the areas would require
it to be hung under the copper water pipes to the house. Bbad idea
or will it matter?

thanks!

Partly bad idea. It is the "inexpensive" part that is bad. Those
inexpensive lights are poorly made and give a lot of trouble. Get some good
ones. They will work better and longer. Well worth the difference.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am trying to brighten up the laundry room by hanging those
inexpensive flourescent tube lights. One of the areas would require it
to be hung under the copper water pipes to the house. Bbad idea or
will it matter?

thanks!

I don't see any problem with mounting them under copper pipes there's all
kinds of pipes mounted over the lights in T-bar ceilings in buildings. They
don't put out very much heat, chances of a pipe failure are rare. Also as
mentioned Buy a decent light I bought these at Lowes

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ESW&lpage=none
cost about 20 dollars they always light even in the freezing cold I use the
T-8 bulbs ( skinning ones) Half my garage is some old ones with big ballast
in them they just flicker for a while the others just light right up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
RBM wrote:
Fine, just don't bump your head

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am trying to brighten up the laundry room by hanging those
inexpensive flourescent tube lights. One of the areas would require
it to be hung under the copper water pipes to the house. Bbad idea
or will it matter?

thanks!

Partly bad idea. It is the "inexpensive" part that is bad. Those
inexpensive lights are poorly made and give a lot of trouble. Get some good
ones. They will work better and longer. Well worth the difference.

yep, I really hate those stupid little under
counter lights made by Lights of America. Just
had to replace one for the 3rd time (in 30 years)
and the damn things had increased in price from $6
in the 90's to $8. A real ****er, I should have
bought a $40 back originally. Wonder what the
replacement bulbs and the replacement covers
(going from white to yellow) would have added to
the cost?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you get condensation on the pipes - i.e. do they sweat? Any dripping
water from the condensation might not mix well with that electricity
stuff that the lamps use.

If you have concerns, wrap the pipes with the type of insulation that
is made to prevent condensation. Better safe than sorry.

wrote:
Hi, I am trying to brighten up the laundry room by hanging those
inexpensive flourescent tube lights. One of the areas would require it
to be hung under the copper water pipes to the house. Bbad idea or
will it matter?

thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:45:57 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

RBM wrote:
Fine, just don't bump your head

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am trying to brighten up the laundry room by hanging those
inexpensive flourescent tube lights. One of the areas would require
it to be hung under the copper water pipes to the house. Bbad idea
or will it matter?

thanks!

Partly bad idea. It is the "inexpensive" part that is bad. Those
inexpensive lights are poorly made and give a lot of trouble. Get some good
ones. They will work better and longer. Well worth the difference.

Yeah, Meehan is an idiot. Spend a couple of thousand on the lights
and a couple of thousand on hiring an electrican to install it.

geesh!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

RBM wrote:
Fine, just don't bump your head

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am trying to brighten up the laundry room by hanging those
inexpensive flourescent tube lights. One of the areas would
require it to be hung under the copper water pipes to the house.
Bbad idea or will it matter?

thanks!

Partly bad idea. It is the "inexpensive" part that is bad. Those
inexpensive lights are poorly made and give a lot of trouble. Get
some good ones. They will work better and longer. Well worth the
difference.

Yeah, Meehan is an idiot. Spend a couple of thousand on the lights
and a couple of thousand on hiring an electrican to install it.

geesh!!!

Apparently you have not read all the messages about those cheap lights.
They are especially troublesome in a damp environment as the sockets are not
as secure nor as corrosive resistant.

BTW Where did the electrician issue come from?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the advice. Actually, I put up the work lights that
are very similar to what was suggested from Lowes.

I'll keep an eye on the pipes for sweat, for I don't really know at
this point; I've only lived in the house for 6 weeks.