Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywalling tools

Is there ANYTHING worse than having the manufacturer put stickers on the
blade of a drywall knife?

I can't imagine a dumber thing for them to do than put a nice shiny 6"x4"
label on a 12" drywall knife. You have to immerse the thing in gas or some
other highly caustic substance to get all the glue off, if you don't you get
little pieces of paper and backing in the joint compound. The thing is even
the major manufacturers do this - conceivably you would think they
understand that the blade needs to be kept straight and clean - so what's
the deal, is Marketing not talking to Engineering here?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

This is not the fault of the manufacture but that of the big box stores. The
manufacture would gladly ship it label free as he has to pay for the
printing of the labels but the big box stores insist this stuff be there and
if the manufacture wants the product in their stores he agrees to the
labels. You are mad at the wrong people.
Joe

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Is there ANYTHING worse than having the manufacturer put stickers on the
blade of a drywall knife?

I can't imagine a dumber thing for them to do than put a nice shiny 6"x4"
label on a 12" drywall knife. You have to immerse the thing in gas or
some other highly caustic substance to get all the glue off, if you don't
you get little pieces of paper and backing in the joint compound. The
thing is even the major manufacturers do this - conceivably you would
think they understand that the blade needs to be kept straight and clean -
so what's the deal, is Marketing not talking to Engineering here?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
This is not the fault of the manufacture but that of the big box stores.
The manufacture would gladly ship it label free as he has to pay for the
printing of the labels but the big box stores insist this stuff be there
and if the manufacture wants the product in their stores he agrees to the
labels. You are mad at the wrong people.
Joe

Naw, what about applying a paper ring to the handle? That would work just
as well and the seller wouldn't care any less.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Is there ANYTHING worse than having the manufacturer put stickers on the
blade of a drywall knife?

I can't imagine a dumber thing for them to do than put a nice shiny 6"x4"
label on a 12" drywall knife. You have to immerse the thing in gas or
some other highly caustic substance to get all the glue off, if you don't
you get little pieces of paper and backing in the joint compound. The
thing is even the major manufacturers do this - conceivably you would
think they understand that the blade needs to be kept straight and
clean - so what's the deal, is Marketing not talking to Engineering here?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

No! I work for a printing company that prints labels and tags for a company
that does a large part of its business with Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart totally
dictates what the labels will be like. They either bow to the wishes of
Wal-Mart or do not get their product in Wal-Mart stores. I promise you Lowes
and Home Depot have the same control over their suppliers.

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
No! I work for a printing company that prints labels and tags for a
company that does a large part of its business with Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart
totally dictates what the labels will be like. They either bow to the
wishes of Wal-Mart or do not get their product in Wal-Mart stores. I
promise you Lowes and Home Depot have the same control over their
suppliers.
Joe

I didn't know that, pretty retarded policy really. I think the buyer at
Lowe's needs to learn how to drywall - they maybe they'll change their
tunes. Especially after having to toss another batch of joint compound
after it got contaminated with paper again.

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CM" wrote in message
Yup and they only pay about a buck for those six dollar drywall knives.

cm

Yeah well I'm not talking about 6 dollar drywall knives either.

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

Is there ANYTHING worse than having the manufacturer put stickers on
the blade of a drywall knife?

I can't imagine a dumber thing for them to do than put a nice shiny
6"x4" label on a 12" drywall knife. You have to immerse the thing in
gas or some other highly caustic substance to get all the glue off, if
you don't you get little pieces of paper and backing in the joint
compound. The thing is even the major manufacturers do this -
conceivably you would think they understand that the blade needs to be
kept straight and clean - so what's the deal, is Marketing not talking
to Engineering here?

On one hand I heard a pro say it's good to know which side of the blade
is which. The same side should always be used against the wall during a
job. The paper side towards you is an easy way to ID the back and front
side.

On the other hand, there's a lot of better ways to mark to distinguish
side a & b.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

On one hand I heard a pro say it's good to know which side of the blade
is which. The same side should always be used against the wall during a
job. The paper side towards you is an easy way to ID the back and front
side.

Correct answer! Or at least, one possible answer. I learned the same thing in a
drywall course: leave the label on, keep it away from the wall.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

weeelllll I dunno bout that,,I like to think I'm a Pro after 25+ years
and the first thing I do is get rid of the sticker with a utility knife
blade and maybe some Ronsonol lighter fluid to remove the glue
residue,,then rinse..
If the sticker marks anything it is the high side of the slight
curve in the blade wich ,,yes,,should normally(99%) be kept away from
the wall..I just look at the curve before I take mud from the
pan/hawk..With it gone I do'nt have the sticker coming off in bits and
getting junk in My mud..It realllllly sucks to have a perfect pull on a
36" wide butt-joint and notice a scratch from some worthless piece of
crap in the mud!
Now if You have a plain steel DW knife that You plan to use once and
forget about maybe leave the sticker on,,but if You have a stainless
knife that will last a looong time that sticker could haunt Ya just
about as long..I've had knives that lost width(finish edge-handle
edge)from years of use..I have only 1 plain steel knife that is a rusty
piece of sh** suitable for scraping floors only,,stainless DW knives
will last unless severely abused,,super cleaning and oiling of the
metal is'nt needed for storage..The stainless do'nt cost too much more
and if Ya catch a sale might even be less..
Dean

DT wrote:
On one hand I heard a pro say it's good to know which side of the blade
is which. The same side should always be used against the wall during a
job. The paper side towards you is an easy way to ID the back and front
side.

Correct answer! Or at least, one possible answer. I learned the same thing in a
drywall course: leave the label on, keep it away from the wall.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

"I didn't know that, pretty retarded policy really. I think the buyer
at
Lowe's needs to learn how to drywall - they maybe they'll change their

tunes. Especially after having to toss another batch of joint
compound
after it got contaminated with paper again."

"pretty retarded policy"!!LOL ALOT and agreed.
Contaminated mud sucks,,I'll agree with that too..In the Sellers
defense tho,there have been people that switch labels in a store to get
a cheaper price so the big sticky labels serve 2 purposes,,advertising
and price switching deterent..I do'nt like advertising much OR thieves
much so am stuck in the middle and just do what I gotta do to get
done..Now if they grow a brain and start stamping the handles with a
barcode and brandname!?!?Those pesky labels could be eliminated! Of
course then they would have to inundate our tv programs with more
friggin advertising than already exists!!Ya just ca'nt win unless Ya
look right past it and look at the product and price only..The only way
to reduce ads is to stop letting the ads work..
Sorry,,when I get started about "too much advertising" it ai'nt
pretty..When I'm "dead dog tired" at the end of the day I LOVE My tv
and HATE the overdone commercials!!Repitition is just another form of
hypnotism,,keep showing them till people believe and buy.."BANE" of the
info age I say! BANE!!
Dean

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yeah that's my sentiment, although I'm a total drywall newbie. That damn
sticker residue thwarted me at every turn before I got the intelligence to
actually remove it. A nice bath in acetone got rid of that crap.

I like my drywall knife too, nice wide blade, nice metal, nice grippy
handle. It wasn't that much more but it's easier to learn how to do
something when you have quality tools.