Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Huge bubble in bathroom ceiling

Hi,

I noticed after taking a hot shower today that I have a huge bubble in my
ceiling. I asked my upstairs tenant if something was leaking in their
bathroom, and she said not that she was aware of. So I assuming the bubble
is from me taking a shower with the door closed, and I do not have a fan in
the bathroom. I have touched the bubble and there seems to be quite a lot
of water in there. Is there anything I can do it make it dry up? Or is it
just going to burst now. I have noticed that is it starting to drip a
little.

Thanks!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om, "rsoonb" wrote:
Hi,

I noticed after taking a hot shower today that I have a huge bubble in my
ceiling. I asked my upstairs tenant if something was leaking in their
bathroom, and she said not that she was aware of. So I assuming the bubble
is from me taking a shower with the door closed, and I do not have a fan in
the bathroom. I have touched the bubble and there seems to be quite a lot
of water in there. Is there anything I can do it make it dry up? Or is it
just going to burst now. I have noticed that is it starting to drip a
little.

I doubt the bubble is caused by condensation. At least not
directly onto the ceiling -- you'd need a significant
amount of water condensing above the ceiling and dripping
down to form a large bubble such as you describe.

There's almost certainly a leak upstairs and you'd be
well advised to get it fixed before the water causes
even more damage.

I would burst the bubble immediately with a sharp
instrument (knife or whatever). The water that's accumulating
in there will only cause more damage. Get rid of it ASAP
and ventilate the room to keep the humidity as low as
possible -- you really don't want mold taking hold.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rsoonb" wrote in message
news:09f828911f758476f698d318ad1a5954@homerepairli ve.com...
Hi,

I noticed after taking a hot shower today that I have a huge bubble in my
ceiling. I asked my upstairs tenant if something was leaking in their
bathroom, and she said not that she was aware of. So I assuming the bubble
is from me taking a shower with the door closed, and I do not have a fan
in
the bathroom. I have touched the bubble and there seems to be quite a lot
of water in there. Is there anything I can do it make it dry up? Or is it
just going to burst now. I have noticed that is it starting to drip a
little.

Thanks!!

If it did not break already, get a large container and pop it. They find
the leak from upstairs. They may not be aware, but there is a leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rsoonb wrote:
Hi,

I noticed after taking a hot shower today that I have a huge bubble in my
ceiling. I asked my upstairs tenant if something was leaking in their
bathroom, and she said not that she was aware of. So I assuming the bubble
is from me taking a shower with the door closed, and I do not have a fan in
the bathroom. I have touched the bubble and there seems to be quite a lot
of water in there. Is there anything I can do it make it dry up? Or is it
just going to burst now. I have noticed that is it starting to drip a
little.

Thanks!!

Notify the landlord *immediately* and in writing!

If you take action to " burst" it, at least wear
protective clothing. Chances are excellent
that the water is from a toilet...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:04:58 -0600, "rsoonb"
wrote:

Hi,

I noticed after taking a hot shower today that I have a huge bubble in my
ceiling. I asked my upstairs tenant if something was leaking in their
bathroom, and she said not that she was aware of. So I assuming the bubble
is from me taking a shower with the door closed, and I do not have a fan in
the bathroom. I have touched the bubble and there seems to be quite a lot
of water in there. Is there anything I can do it make it dry up? Or is it
just going to burst now. I have noticed that is it starting to drip a
little.

Get a bunch of buckets, or a biggg bucket, and get rid of anything
that will be damaged by the spilling splattering water, and put a hole
in the lowest part of the bubble. Have someone hold the next bucket
in the stream above the bucket on the floor that just got filled. It
will take all of 2 to 5 seconds so be ready to go. Even though it
might, don't assume the water will come out where you put the hole.
Be ready to move the bucket.

If you don't when it does burst, which could be any minute, there will
be more damage to the ceiling and more to what's underneath.

It might be caused by your shower if your house is upside down and
you're all walking on your heads. Otherwise it's a leak upstairs.

You have a homerepairlive address and you're asking this question? I
think you are a troll who wasted some of my time. Grow up and stop
being a jackass.

Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mm wrote:

[...]

I suspect we're looking at a cupful or at the most two, of water.

If there really is several gallons of water, it won't be there
for very long. Wear a hard hat because that ceiling is about
to come down.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message

I suspect we're looking at a cupful or at the most two, of water.

If there really is several gallons of water, it won't be there
for very long. Wear a hard hat because that ceiling is about
to come down.

I'd have agreed with you last week, but a fellow I work with had a similar
situation. He had a roof leak. When he broke the bubble, he got about
three gallons of water, plus what spilled. Damage is about $2500 in his
case. I never would have though paint would hold that much water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article t7Sph.34$Ch1.5@trndny04, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message

I suspect we're looking at a cupful or at the most two, of water.

If there really is several gallons of water, it won't be there
for very long. Wear a hard hat because that ceiling is about
to come down.

I'd have agreed with you last week, but a fellow I work with had a similar
situation. He had a roof leak. When he broke the bubble, he got about
three gallons of water, plus what spilled. Damage is about $2500 in his
case. I never would have though paint would hold that much water.

Yikes, that is pretty amazing. On the other hand, I've had
co-workers that were prone to very occasionally make tiny
exaggerations ;-)

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

I noticed after taking a hot shower today that I have a huge bubble in my
ceiling. I asked my upstairs tenant if something was leaking in their
bathroom, and she said not that she was aware of. So I assuming the bubble
is from me taking a shower with the door closed, and I do not have a fan in
the bathroom. I have touched the bubble and there seems to be quite a lot
of water in there. Is there anything I can do it make it dry up? Or is it
just going to burst now. I have noticed that is it starting to drip a
little.

Thanks!!

Add ceiling repair cost to your list; after the leak is fixed. You may
need to disclose this damage in a future sale, but I don't know that.

--
Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair

rsoonb wrote:
Hi,

I noticed after taking a hot shower today that I have a huge bubble
in my ceiling. I asked my upstairs tenant if something was leaking in
their bathroom, and she said not that she was aware of. So I assuming
the bubble is from me taking a shower with the door closed, and I do
not have a fan in the bathroom. I have touched the bubble and there
seems to be quite a lot of water in there. Is there anything I can do
it make it dry up? Or is it just going to burst now. I have noticed
that is it starting to drip a little.

Thanks!!

Does she have a small child? They are really good at spilling lots of
water.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

it is the latex ceiling paint stretching into a dirty water balloon
because your upstairs tub or sink or toilet leaks, probably on the
sewer side, not necessarily directly above the bubble.

rsoonb wrote:
Hi,

I noticed after taking a hot shower today that I have a huge bubble in my
ceiling. I asked my upstairs tenant if something was leaking in their
bathroom, and she said not that she was aware of. So I assuming the bubble
is from me taking a shower with the door closed, and I do not have a fan in
the bathroom. I have touched the bubble and there seems to be quite a lot
of water in there. Is there anything I can do it make it dry up? Or is it
just going to burst now. I have noticed that is it starting to drip a
little.

Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Malcolm Hoar wrote:

I would burst the bubble immediately with a sharp
instrument (knife or whatever). The water that's accumulating
in there will only cause more damage. Get rid of it ASAP
and ventilate the room to keep the humidity as low as
possible -- you really don't want mold taking hold.

Don't stand under it - it may be used water.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PK PK is offline

"rsoonb" wrote in message
news:09f828911f758476f698d318ad1a5954@homerepairli ve.com...
Hi,

I noticed after taking a hot shower today that I have a huge bubble in my
ceiling. I asked my upstairs tenant if something was leaking in their
bathroom, and she said not that she was aware of. So I assuming the bubble
is from me taking a shower with the door closed, and I do not have a fan
in
the bathroom. I have touched the bubble and there seems to be quite a lot
of water in there. Is there anything I can do it make it dry up? Or is it
just going to burst now. I have noticed that is it starting to drip a
little.

Thanks!!

My money's on the leaky drainhole on the shower pan upstairs ... place your
bets!

PK

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't appreciate being called a troll or a jackass. This is the first
time I have owned a home, and I was looking for an answer to a problem. I
thought this posting board would help me to get advice from other people
who have gone through it. I came here to get solutions, not to be
criticized. I appreciate all the other suggestions outside of this, which
could have been kept to yourself.

I just found it odd that the bubble wasn't there until after I took a
shower. I normally take a shower very early in the morning before going to
work but I did not go to work today so I took a shower later in the day. It
happened right after taking a shower. I have been in and out all day, and
have finally made it home now. The dripping that was occurring (actually,
it was just drops, the bucket I put underneath it when I left this
afternoon has not one single drop of water in it) has stopped. I will
call my home warranty company and see if they can tell if it is a leak
from my upstairs tenant.

Again, thank you all for the helpful responses and taking the time to
respond to me. To "mm" - no one forced you to respond, therefore if you
wasted your time that was obviously on you. Maybe you're just a smartass
or a know-it-all who has to put your two cents into everything. I didn't
need your two cents, as you can see, as there are MANY, MANY other helpful
people out there.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Again, thank you all for the helpful responses and taking the time to
respond to me. To "mm" - no one forced you to respond, therefore if you
wasted your time that was obviously on you. Maybe you're just a

smartass
or a know-it-all who has to put your two cents into everything. I

didn't
need your two cents, as you can see, as there are MANY, MANY other

helpful
people out there.

Just ignore people who aren't helpful, so many here are. mm can actually
be very helpful at times, but once in awhile can't resist being "witty
and wonderful" more than helpful. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

if there were a leak upstairs it would not stop at the bubble. It would
still be leaking.
acrylic paint will bubble up from condensation getting behind it.
I hate that type of paint. it does not allow anything to breathe.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

| "rsoonb" wrote in message
| news:09f828911f758476f698d318ad1a5954@homerepairli ve.com...
| Hi,
|
| I noticed after taking a hot shower today that I have a huge bubble
in my
| ceiling. I asked my upstairs tenant if something was leaking in
their
| bathroom, and she said not that she was aware of. So I assuming the
bubble
| is from me taking a shower with the door closed, and I do not have a
fan
| in
| the bathroom. I have touched the bubble and there seems to be quite
a lot
| of water in there. Is there anything I can do it make it dry up? Or
is it
| just going to burst now. I have noticed that is it starting to drip
| little.
|
| Thanks!!
|
| If it did not break already, get a large container and pop it. They
find
| the leak from upstairs. They may not be aware, but there is a leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PK" wrote in message

| |
| My money's on the leaky drainhole on the shower pan upstairs ... place
your
| bets!
|
| PK

my bet is
when someone steps out of the tub/shower upstairs dripping wet
the water is getting in where the floor meets the tub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rsoonb" wrote in message
news:b58db5b2022483c46e79ad132e3cf50b@homerepairli ve.com...
|I don't appreciate being called a troll or a jackass. This is the first
| time I have owned a home, and I was looking for an answer to a
problem. I
| thought this posting board would help me to get advice from other
people
| who have gone through it. I came here to get solutions, not to be
| criticized. I appreciate all the other suggestions outside of this,
which
| could have been kept to yourself.
|
| I just found it odd that the bubble wasn't there until after I took a
| shower. I normally take a shower very early in the morning before
going to
| work but I did not go to work today so I took a shower later in the
day. It
| happened right after taking a shower. I have been in and out all day,
and
| have finally made it home now. The dripping that was occurring
(actually,
| it was just drops, the bucket I put underneath it when I left this
| afternoon has not one single drop of water in it) has stopped. I will
| call my home warranty company and see if they can tell if it is a leak
| from my upstairs tenant.
|
| Again, thank you all for the helpful responses and taking the time to
| respond to me. To "mm" - no one forced you to respond, therefore if
you
| wasted your time that was obviously on you. Maybe you're just a
smartass
| or a know-it-all who has to put your two cents into everything. I
didn't
| need your two cents, as you can see, as there are MANY, MANY other
helpful
| people out there.
|
| On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:04:58 -0600, "rsoonb"
|

| Get a bunch of buckets, or a biggg bucket, and get rid of anything
| that will be damaged by the spilling splattering water, and put a
hole
| in the lowest part of the bubble. Have someone hold the next bucket
| in the stream above the bucket on the floor that just got filled. It
| will take all of 2 to 5 seconds so be ready to go. Even though it
| might, don't assume the water will come out where you put the hole.
| Be ready to move the bucket.
|
| If you don't when it does burst, which could be any minute, there
will
| be more damage to the ceiling and more to what's underneath.
|
| It might be caused by your shower if your house is upside down and
| you're all walking on your heads. Otherwise it's a leak upstairs.
|
| You have a homerepairlive address and you're asking this question? I
| think you are a troll who wasted some of my time. Grow up and stop
| being a jackass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message

| | Just ignore people who aren't helpful, so many here are. mm can
actually
| be very helpful at times, but once in awhile can't resist being "witty
| and wonderful" more than helpful. :-)
|
| Cheri

and you know this how?
is it because m&m's melt in your mouth and not in your hands
well maybe that 1 time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Homerepairlive.com
what a joke
it is all the same questions in AHR

copy,paste
copy,paste
copy,paste
copy,paste
copy,paste
copy,paste

wow that was tough

you are definitely a troll.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rsoonb" wrote in message
news:09f828911f758476f698d318ad1a5954@homerepairli ve.com...
Hi,

I noticed after taking a hot shower today that I have a huge bubble in my
ceiling. I asked my upstairs tenant if something was leaking in their
bathroom, and she said not that she was aware of. So I assuming the bubble
is from me taking a shower with the door closed, and I do not have a fan
in
the bathroom. I have touched the bubble and there seems to be quite a lot
of water in there. Is there anything I can do it make it dry up? Or is it
just going to burst now. I have noticed that is it starting to drip a
little.

Thanks!!

We had this problem and there was no evidence of any problem from upstairs -
but it was a big leak in the pipes between the two floors.

Which plasterboard for bathroom ceiling? Richard Conway UK diy 9 August 22nd 06 03:19 PM
Bathroom ceiling Paul Andrews UK diy 15 November 22nd 05 06:33 PM
Repaired textured ceiling bubble Backlash Home Repair 2 May 8th 05 01:56 AM
Best bathroom ceiling paint SCOTT Home Repair 6 April 23rd 05 12:04 PM
bathroom ceiling Jim Walsh UK diy 4 April 28th 04 05:48 PM