Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gluing poly

About once a month someone asks how to glue polyethylene; and while a few
people suggest epoxy, the net result is you can't glue polyethylene.

Well, it turns out you can.
A local craftstore went out of business and I couldn't resist buying bags of
stuff I didn't need at 80% off. One thing I bought was Loctite SuperGlue
"All Plastics". Naturally I thought it was bogus, but for almost free I
will try anything.

Tonight a poly knob on my universal gym broke; as I was tossing it out I
remembered the glue. It worked! Don't know how long it will last (I
certainly don't expect much) but so far it is solid.

So if you are desperate, it is worth a try.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bewildered wrote:
About once a month someone asks how to glue polyethylene; and while a few
people suggest epoxy, the net result is you can't glue polyethylene.

Well, it turns out you can.
A local craftstore went out of business and I couldn't resist buying bags of
stuff I didn't need at 80% off. One thing I bought was Loctite SuperGlue
"All Plastics". Naturally I thought it was bogus, but for almost free I
will try anything.

Tonight a poly knob on my universal gym broke; as I was tossing it out I
remembered the glue. It worked! Don't know how long it will last (I
certainly don't expect much) but so far it is solid.

So if you are desperate, it is worth a try.

I was formerly (summer 2006) under the impression that polyethylene was
very difficult to
adhesive bond / repair.........

that said, I did a google search & found

http://www.stealth316.com/2-dp8005.htm

This 3M stuff looks pretty good but the application tools are a bit
spendy for
a one off repair

additionally

the Loctite hand book on bonding plastics

http://www.loctite.us/int_henkel/loc...ding_Guide.pdf

page 51 gives a number of products that work with PE

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:

Bewildered wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure if you look in Locktite's full product list, you will
find an appropriate product to glue anything to anything. They probably
have something to glue your car tires to ice too...

jointing and gluing william kossack Woodworking 19 November 26th 06 11:27 AM
Squaring up for gluing... Mike W. Woodworking 14 January 2nd 06 02:31 PM
Diluted poly versus wipe-on poly toller Woodworking 10 February 1st 05 07:37 PM
gluing Kip055 Woodturning 5 October 18th 04 03:38 PM
Gluing Corian AHilton Woodturning 15 May 7th 04 05:10 AM