Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Straight and level outlet boxes

One thing that I encountered when refinishing my basement was that I had a
real difficult time getting the outlet boxes level and straight. In my
naive mind I presumed it was pretty simple - attach box to stud and screw it
in. I think the reason why I assumed that would be enough is because I
assumed that the stud would be straight and level - not twisted and knarled
like some are.

So when installing an outlet box, is it common for people to plane the 2x4,
shim the box, or is there something basic I'm not doing that eliminates the
need to do all that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Where the mounting screws go through a
plug or switch, the hole is oblong instead of being the same size as the
screw, so there is a little adjustment there.Unless your boxes are way
off, it should be enough to get the device straight. Good luck Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shim or bend the box ( if its metal) a little bit to get it straight. Note
that it doesn't need to be perfect, just close, since the cover plate will
sit on the wall, not the box, and any little error won't be noticeable.

--

Mike S.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
One thing that I encountered when refinishing my basement was that I had a
real difficult time getting the outlet boxes level and straight. In my
naive mind I presumed it was pretty simple - attach box to stud and screw
it in. I think the reason why I assumed that would be enough is because I
assumed that the stud would be straight and level - not twisted and
knarled like some are.

So when installing an outlet box, is it common for people to plane the
2x4, shim the box, or is there something basic I'm not doing that
eliminates the need to do all that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikey S." wrote in message
Shim or bend the box ( if its metal) a little bit to get it straight. Note
that it doesn't need to be perfect, just close, since the cover plate will
sit on the wall, not the box, and any little error won't be noticeable.

--

Mike S.

Is there a better type of outlet box to use? The ones that I picked out
were relatively thin flange type boxes from Lowe's. I noticed with them
that the flange tended to warp as the box was installed, pulling the box
outward and making everything sit cock-eyed. I tried using a heavier side
mount box and that did seem to help a great deal, but I wondered if there
isn't an all-round best box to use.

I didn't look at the metal ones, not wanting to fool with a grounding lead
for every outlet. Trivial I know, but when you're just starting out every
extra step seems like a herculean task.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
One thing that I encountered when refinishing my basement was that I had
a real difficult time getting the outlet boxes level and straight. In my
naive mind I presumed it was pretty simple - attach box to stud and screw
it in. I think the reason why I assumed that would be enough is because
I assumed that the stud would be straight and level - not twisted and
knarled like some are.

So when installing an outlet box, is it common for people to plane the
2x4, shim the box, or is there something basic I'm not doing that
eliminates the need to do all that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:56:13 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

One thing that I encountered when refinishing my basement was that I had a
real difficult time getting the outlet boxes level and straight. In my
naive mind I presumed it was pretty simple - attach box to stud and screw it
in. I think the reason why I assumed that would be enough is because I
assumed that the stud would be straight and level - not twisted and knarled
like some are.

So when installing an outlet box, is it common for people to plane the 2x4,
shim the box, or is there something basic I'm not doing that eliminates the
need to do all that?

Bend the mounting brackets to get the box in-plane, and just
don't quite butt it up against the studwall to get it level.
If the studs are too twisted for that to work, you're going to
have a fun time getting the sheetrock on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
One thing that I encountered when refinishing my basement was that I had a
real difficult time getting the outlet boxes level and straight. In my
naive mind I presumed it was pretty simple - attach box to stud and screw it
in. I think the reason why I assumed that would be enough is because I
assumed that the stud would be straight and level - not twisted and knarled
like some are.

So when installing an outlet box, is it common for people to plane the 2x4,
shim the box, or is there something basic I'm not doing that eliminates the
need to do all that?

They don't have to be exactly straight and level.
Nailed directly to a stud should be good enough.
The outlets or switches are held by two screws
so you can move them around quite a bit, the
covers are held by one screw so they will be
straight with the outlets or switches. If you
need more adjustment than that, maybe you need
better studs or you are doing something really
wrong.

The only problem most people have is getting the
box at the correct depth compared to the surface f
the wall, but that isn't hard if you have measured
correctly and made a simple jig.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The only problem most people have is getting the
box at the correct depth compared to the surface f
the wall, but that isn't hard if you have measured
correctly and made a simple jig.

So long as the box doesn't stick beyond the dry wall the "plaster ears" will
cover you. That's what they are for.

Mostly, the boxes are set flush with the front of the wall stud. The
plaster ears keep the devices flush with the dry wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Gilmer" wrote in message

The only problem most people have is getting the
box at the correct depth compared to the surface f
the wall, but that isn't hard if you have measured
correctly and made a simple jig.

So long as the box doesn't stick beyond the dry wall the "plaster ears"
will
cover you. That's what they are for.

Mostly, the boxes are set flush with the front of the wall stud. The
plaster ears keep the devices flush with the dry wall.

Okay, I think I can do that. That right there just pinpointed my problem, I
was insetting the ears on the outlet into the drywall rather than using them
for mounting surfaces.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:58:12 -0500, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

Mostly, the boxes are set flush with the front of the wall stud. The
plaster ears keep the devices flush with the dry wall.

If it ends up being more than 1/4" behind the face of the drywall or
flush on paneling an inspector will make you put a ring on it ... if
he is doing his job.

Well, often they don't "do their job."

314.20 In Wall or Ceiling.
In walls or ceilings with a surface of concrete, tile, gypsum,
plaster, or other noncombustible material, boxes shall be installed so
that the front edge of the box will not be set back of the finished
surface more than 6 mm (1/4 in.).

If it is a combustible wall covering they want it flush or protruding
314.20
"In walls and ceilings constructed of wood or other combustible
surface material, boxes shall be flush with the finished surface or
project therefrom."

They should be mounted 1/2" out from the stud for drywall. The less
space between the yoke and the box ears the better. Otherwise the
"ears" will bend over time and the device will become loose, breaking
the cover. Some inspectors will require washers to make up this gap,
just for that reason.
314.19 "... substantial support for the devices will be provided."

I can't say you are wrong because you are right.

BUT the reality of the situation is that it's just as likely that the nails
holding the box to the stud will get loose as the "ears" bending.

It's quite easy to replace the "ears" device. I don't have that much
"field" experience but the ears just don't fail that often.