Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Default residential power meters

Does anyone know whether residential power meters measure
real power or apparent power (vector sum of real and reactive power).

I have found claims for each on the web, so I am really only
interested if you can give a pointer to some authoritative
document such as a utilities commission decision, a statement
by a utility, or a spec for residential meters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"M Q" wrote in message
Does anyone know whether residential power meters measure
real power or apparent power (vector sum of real and reactive power).

I have found claims for each on the web, so I am really only
interested if you can give a pointer to some authoritative
document such as a utilities commission decision, a statement
by a utility, or a spec for residential meters.

They measure real power. You can Google for "electrodynamometer power
meters."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:43:25 GMT, M Q
wrote:

Does anyone know whether residential power meters measure
real power or apparent power (vector sum of real and reactive power).

I have found claims for each on the web, so I am really only
interested if you can give a pointer to some authoritative
document such as a utilities commission decision, a statement
by a utility, or a spec for residential meters.

I was told "Real Power" when I inquired, but looking at my electric
bill lately, I'm guessing "Assumed Power" or "Line Our Pockets Power"

Just kidding. Real Power seems to be the response I get.

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

M Q wrote:
Does anyone know whether residential power meters measure
real power or apparent power (vector sum of real and reactive power).

I have found claims for each on the web, so I am really only
interested if you can give a pointer to some authoritative
document such as a utilities commission decision, a statement
by a utility, or a spec for residential meters.

For the most part they measure real power at residences, but I've heard
tell of some areas in the southwestern USA where VAR metering is in use
for homes because of the heavy usage of air conditioning equipment.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

M Q wrote:
Does anyone know whether residential power meters measure
real power or apparent power (vector sum of real and reactive power).

I have found claims for each on the web, so I am really only
interested if you can give a pointer to some authoritative
document such as a utilities commission decision, a statement
by a utility, or a spec for residential meters.

Go to your power co's web site; they'll explain it there and some even have
dissertations on power factor, etc., even though it's for residential
meters. I know mine does.

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

M Q wrote:
Does anyone know whether residential power meters measure
real power or apparent power (vector sum of real and reactive power).

I have found claims for each on the web, so I am really only
interested if you can give a pointer to some authoritative
document such as a utilities commission decision, a statement
by a utility, or a spec for residential meters.

A KWH meter?

They used to measure resistive load only.

That meant an appropriate capacitance across a reactive load (such as an AC
compressor) could nullify the measured load. Still that way in most cases.