Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Proper GFCI installation

I am replacing an older GFCI. There are two cables coming into the box. The
black wires are spliced together and the two white wires are spliced
together and both are pigtailed into the GFCI. I tried to wire the new
GFCI the same way and it will not reset. It is a Leviton with smartlock
and the instructions tell me to wire it with load to cover the downstream
outlets.I do not want the downstream outlets protected. Is there a way to
wire the GFCI to get around this
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Yes, wire the pigtails to the "line" hot and neutral terminals

"dclutch" wrote in message
news:6c3abbd3214cb477b8aeba16d12fb892@homerepairli ve.com...
I am replacing an older GFCI. There are two cables coming into the box. The
black wires are spliced together and the two white wires are spliced
together and both are pigtailed into the GFCI. I tried to wire the new
GFCI the same way and it will not reset. It is a Leviton with smartlock
and the instructions tell me to wire it with load to cover the downstream
outlets.I do not want the downstream outlets protected. Is there a way to
wire the GFCI to get around this

Posted to alt.home.repair

dclutch wrote:
I am replacing an older GFCI. There are two cables coming into the box. The
black wires are spliced together and the two white wires are spliced
together and both are pigtailed into the GFCI. I tried to wire the new
GFCI the same way and it will not reset. It is a Leviton with smartlock
and the instructions tell me to wire it with load to cover the downstream
outlets.I do not want the downstream outlets protected. Is there a way to
wire the GFCI to get around this

Connect the original pigtails to the line terminals and it will protect
only itself.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dclutch" wrote in message
news:6c3abbd3214cb477b8aeba16d12fb892@homerepairli ve.com...
I am replacing an older GFCI. There are two cables coming into the box.

The
black wires are spliced together and the two white wires are spliced
together and both are pigtailed into the GFCI. I tried to wire the new
GFCI the same way and it will not reset. It is a Leviton with smartlock
and the instructions tell me to wire it with load to cover the downstream
outlets.I do not want the downstream outlets protected. Is there a way to
wire the GFCI to get around this

I have found that some of the Leviton reset buttons need some persuasion.
Try using a screwdriver to push the button in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dclutch wrote:

I am replacing an older GFCI. There are two cables coming into the box. The
black wires are spliced together and the two white wires are spliced
together and both are pigtailed into the GFCI. I tried to wire the new
GFCI the same way and it will not reset. It is a Leviton with smartlock
and the instructions tell me to wire it with load to cover the downstream
outlets.I do not want the downstream outlets protected. Is there a way to
wire the GFCI to get around this

Say now, did you expect that asking the same question on this newsgroup
twice within a couple of hours would double your chances of having
someone explain to you what you probably did wrong?

Just wondering....

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 16:10:10 -0600, "dclutch"
wrote:

I am replacing an older GFCI. There are two cables coming into the box. The
black wires are spliced together and the two white wires are spliced
together and both are pigtailed into the GFCI. I tried to wire the new
GFCI the same way and it will not reset. It is a Leviton with smartlock
and the instructions tell me to wire it with load to cover the downstream
outlets.I do not want the downstream outlets protected. Is there a way to
wire the GFCI to get around this

IMHO:

1. Only qualifed electricians should work with electricity.

2. Follow the manufactures directions.

3. Verifty you have the pigtailed leads hooked up to the proper
terminals. If you are only looking to protect this receptacle, then
the terminals should be "Line".

4. Ensure you wired correctly. "hot" to brass/gold screw, and
"neutral" to silver screw. Equipment "Grounding" wire to green screw.

5. Make sure the wire connections are tight. I.E. check under wire
nuts, wires secure in terminals, etc.

hth,

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am replacing an older GFCI. There are two cables coming into the box. The
black wires are spliced together and the two white wires are spliced
together and both are pigtailed into the GFCI. I tried to wire the new
GFCI the same way and it will not reset. It is a Leviton with smartlock
and the instructions tell me to wire it with load to cover the downstream
outlets.I do not want the downstream outlets protected. Is there a way to
wire the GFCI to get around this

IMHO:

1. Only qualifed electricians should work with electricity.

Don't be an ass.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:
"dclutch" wrote in message
news:6c3abbd3214cb477b8aeba16d12fb892@homerepairli ve.com...
I am replacing an older GFCI. There are two cables coming into the
box. The black wires are spliced together and the two white wires
are spliced together and both are pigtailed into the GFCI.

LOL! Well, THAT takes some intelligence to do! Here's an idea: RTFM or in
this case, the box. LOOK at the unit and you'll see it's a little different
too. See the little letters/symbols for "load" and "line" or the
equivalent?
I know, I know, if you don't understand something, ignore it; it's bound
to be OK anyway. Right? LOL!

I tried
to wire the new GFCI the same way and it will not reset. It is a
Leviton with smartlock and the instructions tell me to wire it with
load to cover the downstream outlets.I do not want the downstream
outlets protected. Is there a way to wire the GFCI to get around this

Put the GFCI AHEAD of the outlets you want protected. Wires from brkr box
to line side of gfci, wires out to protected outlets from the load side of
the gfci. Or, RTFB(ox)!