Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default Proper GFCI installation

John Grabowski wrote:
"dclutch" wrote in message
news:6c3abbd3214cb477b8aeba16d12fb892@homerepairli ve.com...
I am replacing an older GFCI. There are two cables coming into the
box. The black wires are spliced together and the two white wires
are spliced together and both are pigtailed into the GFCI.

LOL! Well, THAT takes some intelligence to do! Here's an idea: RTFM or in
this case, the box. LOOK at the unit and you'll see it's a little different
too. See the little letters/symbols for "load" and "line" or the
equivalent?
I know, I know, if you don't understand something, ignore it; it's bound
to be OK anyway. Right? LOL!

I tried
to wire the new GFCI the same way and it will not reset. It is a
Leviton with smartlock and the instructions tell me to wire it with
load to cover the downstream outlets.I do not want the downstream
outlets protected. Is there a way to wire the GFCI to get around this

Put the GFCI AHEAD of the outlets you want protected. Wires from brkr box
to line side of gfci, wires out to protected outlets from the load side of
the gfci. Or, RTFB(ox)!

I have found that some of the Leviton reset buttons need some
persuasion. Try using a screwdriver to push the button in.