Posted to alt.home.repair
MP MP is offline

Default Light sensors for condo/apartment stairwells

I know in Europe in apartment/condo stairwells it's very popular to have
timers on the lights so that they turn on when there is motion and turn off
after 10 or so minutes.

As I recently bought a condo in a small building, the rest of the owners and
I would like to reduce our condo fee costs by implementing timers in the
public stairwell.

I checked out HomeDepot for something, but they didn't have anything that
applied. I don't know if this will entail changing out the light fixtures or
not but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terrific idea! To kick-start things, see:

http://www.archenergy.com/lrp/products/bilevel.htm

Cheers,
Paul

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:04:27 -0500, "MP"

I know in Europe in apartment/condo stairwells it's very popular to have
timers on the lights so that they turn on when there is motion and turn off
after 10 or so minutes.

As I recently bought a condo in a small building, the rest of the owners and
I would like to reduce our condo fee costs by implementing timers in the
public stairwell.

I checked out HomeDepot for something, but they didn't have anything that
applied. I don't know if this will entail changing out the light fixtures or
not but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

MP wrote:

I know in Europe in apartment/condo stairwells it's very popular to have
timers on the lights so that they turn on when there is motion and turn off
after 10 or so minutes.

As I recently bought a condo in a small building, the rest of the owners and
I would like to reduce our condo fee costs by implementing timers in the
public stairwell.

I checked out HomeDepot for something, but they didn't have anything that
applied. I don't know if this will entail changing out the light fixtures or
not but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

If HD doesn't have them (they surely DO), try a lighting supply or
Lowes. There are all kinds of light/motion detecting fixtures. My
guess is that whoever waited on you at HD didn't have a clue.

We have wall fixtures in our condo hallway with motion detectors and
adjustable "on time".

You can also put a timer on the circuit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Norm,

I'm not so sure on/off motion detectors can be used in this type of
application. I believe building codes permit hall and stairwell
lighting to be dimmed when unoccupied, but not completely turned off.
It would be best to confirm this with your city's building department
first before making any changes; your condo corporation would be
exposing itself to significant liability otherwise.

Cheers,
Paul

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 01:24:44 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

If HD doesn't have them (they surely DO), try a lighting supply or
Lowes. There are all kinds of light/motion detecting fixtures. My
guess is that whoever waited on you at HD didn't have a clue.

We have wall fixtures in our condo hallway with motion detectors and
adjustable "on time".

You can also put a timer on the circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MP wrote:

I know in Europe in apartment/condo stairwells it's very popular to
have timers on the lights so that they turn on when there is motion
and turn off after 10 or so minutes.

As I recently bought a condo in a small building, the rest of the
owners and I would like to reduce our condo fee costs by implementing
timers in the public stairwell.

I checked out HomeDepot for something, but they didn't have anything
that applied. I don't know if this will entail changing out the light
fixtures or not but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Use compact florescent bulbs. A 9w bulb, 24 hrs/day for a month = 6.5kwh.
Less than a buck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MP" wrote in message

I know in Europe in apartment/condo stairwells it's very popular to have
timers on the lights so that they turn on when there is motion and turn
off after 10 or so minutes.

As I recently bought a condo in a small building, the rest of the owners
and I would like to reduce our condo fee costs by implementing timers in
the public stairwell.

They do exist, but you may not be allowed to use them. Local codes vary,
but many call for lighting all the time in common stairwells and hallways.
Change out the bulbs to compact fluorescent and you will save a lot of
energy for that type of application. Not to mention that they last a lot
longer so you don't have to change them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:04:27 -0500, "MP"

I know in Europe in apartment/condo stairwells it's very popular to have
timers on the lights so that they turn on when there is motion and turn off
after 10 or so minutes.

As I recently bought a condo in a small building, the rest of the owners and
I would like to reduce our condo fee costs by implementing timers in the
public stairwell.

I checked out HomeDepot for something, but they didn't have anything that
applied. I don't know if this will entail changing out the light fixtures or
not but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

For just about double the cost of a motion sensor,
you can get a 60-LED 6-watt floodlight bulb that's
essentially free to run, and will probably fit
in the existing fixture. For a bit less you
can get a 36-LED "reading" bulb that uses
only 1.3 watts. I suspect that the
latter might have trouble getting a legal
level of lighting at floor level on the stairs,
but it's worth looking at.

http://www.smarthome.com/97314P.html

Heat Sensors? miamicuse Home Repair 6 June 11th 06 07:38 AM
Trying to hang a light fixture from my ceiling in my condo [email protected] Home Repair 7 February 9th 06 08:51 AM
Sensors to connect to PC Paul Aspinall Electronics 0 October 26th 05 03:23 PM
PC connectable sensors Paul Aspinall Electronics 4 October 5th 05 06:31 AM
Machine Sensors? Dave Metalworking 8 August 30th 05 04:53 PM