Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Light sensors for condo/apartment stairwells

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:04:27 -0500, "MP"

I know in Europe in apartment/condo stairwells it's very popular to have
timers on the lights so that they turn on when there is motion and turn off
after 10 or so minutes.

As I recently bought a condo in a small building, the rest of the owners and
I would like to reduce our condo fee costs by implementing timers in the
public stairwell.

I checked out HomeDepot for something, but they didn't have anything that
applied. I don't know if this will entail changing out the light fixtures or
not but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

For just about double the cost of a motion sensor,
you can get a 60-LED 6-watt floodlight bulb that's
essentially free to run, and will probably fit
in the existing fixture. For a bit less you
can get a 36-LED "reading" bulb that uses
only 1.3 watts. I suspect that the
latter might have trouble getting a legal
level of lighting at floor level on the stairs,
but it's worth looking at.

http://www.smarthome.com/97314P.html