Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bonding on Genreac 5500EXL portable generator

How can I find out if my Generator (factory original) has neutral
ground bonding. I am using it with a transfer switch that only switches
the hot and not the neutral. It need therefore to be unbonded. The unit
does have a gren wire that has a secrew connecting the generator and
the fram where it says grouns. Is this a means to change the bonding?
Any input is apprechiated

Posted to alt.home.repair

Glia wrote:
How can I find out if my Generator (factory original) has neutral
ground bonding. I am using it with a transfer switch that only switches
the hot and not the neutral. It need therefore to be unbonded. The unit
does have a gren wire that has a secrew connecting the generator and
the fram where it says grouns. Is this a means to change the bonding?
Any input is apprechiated

You check between the housing of the generator's winding and the neutral
terminal of the receptacles with any type of resistance measurement
device or a continuity checker. If you get continuity or any resistance
other than infinity it is bonded. If not then your good to go.

It isn't as big a deal as some people make out as long as your talking
about a portable generator that is disconnected when not in use. The
biggest possible danger arises from the presence of a connection between
the neutral and the Equipment Grounding Conductor on the load side of
the service disconnecting means. If your transfer switch carries the
whole houses load then that is a non issue because both connections are
on the load side of the service disconnecting means.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I finally got an answer from Generac in case someone else has the same
problem.
The generators do have ground neutral bond that must be removed when
connected to a transfer panel.
This bond can be removed by removing a jumper wire between neutral and
ground found on the two outlet receptacle. Panel is easy to remove, as
is this wire.

Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT wrote:
Glia wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks! So kind of you to share this information.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

ups.com...

Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT wrote:
Glia wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Glia wrote:
I finally got an answer from Generac in case someone else has the same
problem.
The generators do have ground neutral bond that must be removed when
connected to a transfer panel.
This bond can be removed by removing a jumper wire between neutral and
ground found on the two outlet receptacle. Panel is easy to remove, as
is this wire.

Glia
If you use that generator set as a portable unit away from the house
that bond must be intact for the safety of people using the things that
generator will be powering. If the generator will not be connected to
the transfer switch when your using utility power then you don't have to
worry about the bonding.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is a web page that covers this subject and Generac well.
You may want to have a look here; has some good info and pics on
Generac.

http://members.rennlist.org/warren/gt5000c.html