Posted to alt.home.repair

Default beware of cabinet company

All,
beware of a cabinet company called Gourmet Kitchens Design based out of
Sacramento, CA and has an office in Danville, ca. The owner Rick is a
crook, who writes bad checks. He is untrustworthy and does not do
anything he says he is contracted for. His customer service is the
worst and when you confornt him he lies. His wife Cathy is suspect as
well, only because she probably doesn't know what he does. This
company shafted me on kitchen cabinets worth 100,000 just becuase of
his design mistakes and his inability to fix them. almost two years
later I now have to turn him into the DA's office for writing bad
checks. Stay away

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default beware of slander / libel / defamation lawsuits...

wrote:

If he can prove the company did not deliver as promised the poster is
well within his rights to post facts.

That's a big if, and he should refrain from spamming until he has a
legal judgment to back it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
If he can prove the company did not deliver as promised the poster is
well within his rights to post facts.

True, but it can cost him thousands in legal fees to prove it is facts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not really- a signed contract, copies of any cancelled checks/receipts,
and a photo showing work was not done. Add a phone log showing
attempts to contact and its pretty cut and dried that the contractor
did not deliver. The passing bad checks statement may be a sticy point
but saying "XXX did not deliver , took my money etc" is easily proven.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
If he can prove the company did not deliver as promised the poster is
well within his rights to post facts.

True, but it can cost him thousands in legal fees to prove it is facts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Not really- a signed contract, copies of any cancelled checks/receipts,
and a photo showing work was not done. Add a phone log showing
attempts to contact and its pretty cut and dried that the contractor
did not deliver. The passing bad checks statement may be a sticy point
but saying "XXX did not deliver , took my money etc" is easily proven.

What about the legal fees when the other guy drags him through the courts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Not really- a signed contract, copies of any cancelled checks/receipts,
and a photo showing work was not done. Add a phone log showing
attempts to contact and its pretty cut and dried that the contractor
did not deliver. The passing bad checks statement may be a sticy point
but saying "XXX did not deliver , took my money etc" is easily proven.

What about the legal fees when the other guy drags him through the courts?

The best free advice I ever got from an attorney: "You don't know the answer
until the judge tells you"

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
BZ BZ is offline

Todd H. wrote:

AT any rate the cabinet maker dude sounds like a real ass to be
avoided based on what the guy has posted.

I don't want to take sides here because I don't know either party
involved, but I would never make a decision based on a post like that.

I once hired a contractor to do some exterior house repair and painting
for me. He

- hired a teenager who had never used a power washer to wash the house.
The teenager promptly sprayed water into my attic vents before he ran
out of gas and stood around for 30 minutes not knowing what to do.

- used nongalvanized nails to put up exterior siding, which naturally
started rusting through the paint within a week.

- used only one coat of paint on some sections of the house, allowing
the initial gary color of the siding to show through.

- got a bathroom remodel job in the middle of my job and left mine
without saying anything to go do that one.

- ignored so many calls to come back and complete the job that I was
about to go file suit against him when he finally came back and did a
rush-job finish.

Those are all specific, factual claims that give an accurate depiction
of the contractor. The original post here was full of exaggeration and
speculation. It was not so much a warning against a contractor as it is
an angry consumer's venting -- but there are a lot of unreasonable
consumers out there who vent against good, professional contractors
simply because the contractor won't jump through their hoops. The
somewhat irrational nature of the original post makes me suspect that
the fault here does not lie entirely with the contractor -- and maybe
not at all with the contractor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What about the legal fees when the other guy drags him through the courts?

As long as its true and legal, its should be covered by the homeowner's
policy. Contractor sues he will spend thousands out of his pocket while
homeowner pays insurance deductible to defend and could counter sue and go
after his license. Plus the courts favor the consumer, in particular in
California. Stay out of the courts if its possible as anything could happen.
Sometimes it doesn't come down as who is right as much as who got the better
lawyer or got lucky getting the right judge. Try to get a judge who got
screwed in a kitchen project would be a good bet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BZ wrote:
It was not so much a warning against a contractor as it is
an angry consumer's venting -- but there are a lot of unreasonable
consumers out there who vent against good, professional contractors
simply because the contractor won't jump through their hoops. The
somewhat irrational nature of the original post makes me suspect that
the fault here does not lie entirely with the contractor -- and maybe
not at all with the contractor.

Reminds me of a case..... A client hires an architect.

Client claims is unhappy with the architect, refuses to pay for
drawings, fires architect when design is about 60% complete.

Client hires a contractor to build the house based on the incomplete,
unfinished, and unsealed drawings from the architect, that the client
has still not paid for, without knowledge of the architect.

Contractor cannot complete the house based on those plans.

Client sues architect for incompetence and malpractice, based on the
fact that the contractor couldn't finish the house.

Go figure. It cost the architect a bundle to avoid paying for the
house, although the client and the contractor violated several laws and
the county permitting department issued a building permit on the basis
of unsealed drawings, another violation of state law.

I put little stock in customer rants....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 09:53:49 -0800, CptDondo
wrote:

BZ wrote:
[...]

Architect recovers losses by suing for copyright infringement...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CptDondo" wrote in message
BZ wrote:
[...]

Another architect without malpractice insurance?

although the client and the contractor violated several laws and
the county permitting department issued a building permit on the basis of
unsealed drawings, another violation of state law.

Didn't the architect put a lien on the house for non payment? I think if the
homeowner fake the wet stamp on the plans to get it through the permit
department, that's a felony in my state. Anyway looks like the homeowner
could be in a lot of trouble if the architect wants to pursue it.

I put little stock in customer rants....

Posted to alt.home.repair

this is a bull**** story if I ever heard one
most town halls will give you "their" stamp on the plans (don't need
architects stamp)
heck, I could get a building permit if I wrote a plan on a napkin and
town hall approves it ,and they will, as long as you are not building
with engineered lumber.

if the client fired the architect before the plans were finished
the architect is not responsible for any damages.
but should have placed a lien on the property.
and as for the contractor who took the job and didn't complete the
project based on the incomplete plans.
He is still liable to complete the job if under contract.
most contracts state that the project will be completed as per plan.
it sounds like the client was out to screw everyone involved from day 1.
the client must have been a lawyer.

"CptDondo" wrote in message
| BZ wrote:
| It was not so much a warning against a contractor as it is
| an angry consumer's venting -- but there are a lot of unreasonable
| consumers out there who vent against good, professional contractors
| simply because the contractor won't jump through their hoops. The
| somewhat irrational nature of the original post makes me suspect
that
| the fault here does not lie entirely with the contractor -- and
maybe
| not at all with the contractor.
|
| Reminds me of a case..... A client hires an architect.
|
| Client claims is unhappy with the architect, refuses to pay for
| drawings, fires architect when design is about 60% complete.
|
| Client hires a contractor to build the house based on the incomplete,
| unfinished, and unsealed drawings from the architect, that the client
| has still not paid for, without knowledge of the architect.
|
| Contractor cannot complete the house based on those plans.
|
| Client sues architect for incompetence and malpractice, based on the
| fact that the contractor couldn't finish the house.
|
| Go figure. It cost the architect a bundle to avoid paying for the
| house, although the client and the contractor violated several laws
and
| the county permitting department issued a building permit on the basis
| of unsealed drawings, another violation of state law.
|
| I put little stock in customer rants....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick" wrote in message
I could get a building permit if I wrote a plan on a napkin and
town hall approves it ,and they will, as long as you are not building
with engineered lumber.

Good for you. In my town you won't for a major project, like a house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick wrote:
this is a bull**** story if I ever heard one
most town halls will give you "their" stamp on the plans (don't need
architects stamp)
heck, I could get a building permit if I wrote a plan on a napkin and
town hall approves it ,and they will, as long as you are not building
with engineered lumber.

Ever try to build in a hurricane state? You need an architect's *and*
an engineer's stamp on *every* set of plans you submit. You also need
surveyor's certificates of flood elevation.

In other states, it may be different. Just because "it ain't that way
where I live" doesn't mean it holds for the rest of the world....