Woodwkrman

Default Clockmakers beware of this company

Clockmakers, beware of ordering from a company called Clockworks in Westfield,
Massachusetts.

I ordered a grandmother clock movement from Clockworks' wbsite. The movement
was not shipped, but my credit card was charged. The company president assured
me that the movement would be sent in short order when the movement did not
arrive within a reasonable time and I contacted them.

By the time I realized that Clockworks would not ship my clock movement, it was
too late to have the charge removed from my credit card. Clockworks would not
answer their phone when I called, nor would they respond to my emails.

I reported the situation with Clockworks to the Massachusetts Attorney
General's office, various consumer groups, and the Better Business Bureau.
Clockworks ignored attempts from all of these agencies to correct the
situation. The text of the BBB report that I received is as follows:

*******
Email address:
Phone Number: 413 562-1157
Fax Number: 413 564-8214
Type of Business: On Line Sales
Website address:
www.clockworks.com
Address; 555 Russell Road, Westfield, MA 01085
Additional addresses: 44 Franklin St, Westfield, MA; 75 Broad St., Westfield,
MA, P.O. Box 596, Westfield, MA

"Based on better Business Bureau files, this company has an unsatisfactory
record with the Bureau due to unanswered complaints, as well as a pattern of
complaints concerning delivery issues. In some instances, customers have
received the ordered merchandise from the company, however, the company has
shown an unwillingness to resolve the basic cause of customer complaints."

Concerning my specific case, "We have sent correspondence to the firm on more
than one occasion requesting that the matter be addressed. To date, we have
received no reply. We can only interpret this to mean that the management has
no intention of cooperating with us."

*******

Clockworks went into bankruptcy after my experience with them but I notice that
as of 1/05, their website is still up and running and, I assume, still taking
orders.

Pat

Take a look here http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../mailorder.htm