Posted to alt.home.repair

Default roof patching with plastic film?

I assume something like this exists, but wonder where to get it, and if it
should even be used for a roof patch.

We have a couple of sealed skylights that are letting in water when it
rains heavily. The roof is ok otherwise.

I was wondering if it's possible to spray on or paint on some kind of
liquid or gel that quickly cures into a continuous transparent plastic
film that will get into the nooks and crannies of the shingles and around
the skylights, and will adhere well to them.

It seems like that might be a way to quickly patch around the skylights
and be pretty sure that the patch will seal wherever it is that the water
is getting in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dave rangel wrote:
I assume something like this exists, but wonder where to get it, and if it
should even be used for a roof patch.

We have a couple of sealed skylights that are letting in water when it
rains heavily. The roof is ok otherwise.

I was wondering if it's possible to spray on or paint on some kind of
liquid or gel that quickly cures into a continuous transparent plastic
film that will get into the nooks and crannies of the shingles and around
the skylights, and will adhere well to them.

You get a can of roofing cement. It is a black tarry stuff that can be
applied with a putty knife. Cover the edge of the window frame where
it meets the shingles. A better solution is to remove and re-flash the
skylights. How long since they were installed??

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Lawrence. I doubt any such quick
fix will work. It might, if you can see exactly where the leaks are,
and apply accordingly, but I think you'll be doing some careful
'excavating' first, and applying roofing/ flashing compound.
Skylights are notorious for this, especially when poorly installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On 03 Jan 2007 13:58:56 GMT, dave rangel
wrote:

I assume something like this exists, but wonder where to get it, and if it
should even be used for a roof patch.

We have a couple of sealed skylights that are letting in water when it
rains heavily. The roof is ok otherwise.

I was wondering if it's possible to spray on or paint on some kind of
liquid or gel that quickly cures into a continuous transparent plastic
film that will get into the nooks and crannies of the shingles and around
the skylights, and will adhere well to them.

It seems like that might be a way to quickly patch around the skylights
and be pretty sure that the patch will seal wherever it is that the water
is getting in.

They have caulking tubes of roof cement that will do the trick.
Check your local builders store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I assume something like this exists, but wonder where to get it, and
if it should even be used for a roof patch.
We have a couple of sealed skylights that are letting in water when
it rains heavily. The roof is ok otherwise.
I was wondering if it's possible to spray on or paint on some kind of
liquid or gel that quickly cures into a continuous transparent
plastic film that will get into the nooks and crannies of the
shingles and around the skylights, and will adhere well to them.

You get a can of roofing cement. It is a black tarry stuff that can
be applied with a putty knife. Cover the edge of the window frame
where it meets the shingles. A better solution is to remove and
re-flash the skylights. How long since they were installed??

Wear disposable clothes and gloves while working with this stuff. ;-)