Abe

Default Patching a hole in a plastic dishwasher spray arm

Hi all,

The underside of the lower spray arm in my dishwasher has developed a
hole about 1/2" round. Fortunately, it is located near the outside
edge, so patching it won't affect water flow.

What would be a good material for patching the hole? Is there anything
like a plastic-weld that doesn't require heat?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Abe" wrote in message
Hi all,

The underside of the lower spray arm in my dishwasher has developed a
hole about 1/2" round. Fortunately, it is located near the outside
edge, so patching it won't affect water flow.

What would be a good material for patching the hole? Is there anything
like a plastic-weld that doesn't require heat?

Probably nothing will hold well on that type of plastic, but since it is a
low pressure situation and a little leak will be of no harm, there are many
options.

Epoxy itself may hold. A better solution is to take a strip of fiberglass
cloth and wrap the arm where the leak is. Them mix up some epoxy and coat
the glass cloth. Look for the materials at an auto supply store. The cloth
is used for patching on cars, boat hulls, etc.

Abe

The underside of the lower spray arm in my dishwasher has developed a
hole about 1/2" round. Fortunately, it is located near the outside
edge, so patching it won't affect water flow.
What would be a good material for patching the hole? Is there anything
like a plastic-weld that doesn't require heat?

Probably nothing will hold well on that type of plastic, but since it is a
low pressure situation and a little leak will be of no harm, there are many
options.
Epoxy itself may hold. A better solution is to take a strip of fiberglass
cloth and wrap the arm where the leak is. Them mix up some epoxy and coat
the glass cloth. Look for the materials at an auto supply store. The cloth
is used for patching on cars, boat hulls, etc.

Thanks Ed. A little more searching found this at Radio Shack (of all
places).
Look at the section "Using Liquid and Powder" and below.
http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc38/38621.htm

I'll give it a try, then report back. I guess the worst that can
happen is it doesn't work well, and I'll have to spend $54.00 (best
price I can find on the net) for a "genuine" replacement part that
costs all of 99 cents (if that) to manufacture.

Amun

"Abe" wrote in message
Hi all,

The underside of the lower spray arm in my dishwasher has developed a
hole about 1/2" round. Fortunately, it is located near the outside
edge, so patching it won't affect water flow.

What would be a good material for patching the hole? Is there anything
like a plastic-weld that doesn't require heat?

Not sure why " heat" is an issue. ?
I always fix things like this with a similar piece of plastic "patch" and
use a soldering gun to melt (weld) it in.
Then a bit of cleanup with a file or a dremel, and often you can't even see
where a hole or crack in plastic was.

Mind you it seems a bit strange that a plastic dishwasher arm would
"develop" a hole.

Did something melt through it eg heater element ?
Or was this a manufacturing problem ? bad mold fill ?

Or did you take it off and step on it ?g

You may want to find the cause if not the latter, or you will be right back
to where you are now.

AMUN

Kyle Boatright

"Abe" wrote in message
Hi all,

The underside of the lower spray arm in my dishwasher has developed a
hole about 1/2" round. Fortunately, it is located near the outside
edge, so patching it won't affect water flow.

What would be a good material for patching the hole? Is there anything
like a plastic-weld that doesn't require heat?

Why not use JB weld? I've used it on several odd applications with success.
Essentially, it is an epoxy that comes in a putty form.

KB

Abe

Hi all,
The underside of the lower spray arm in my dishwasher has developed a
hole about 1/2" round. Fortunately, it is located near the outside
edge, so patching it won't affect water flow.
What would be a good material for patching the hole? Is there anything
like a plastic-weld that doesn't require heat?

Why not use JB weld? I've used it on several odd applications with success.
Essentially, it is an epoxy that comes in a putty form.

I looked at the JBWeld site, and the way they describe it, JBWeld
contains metals. I wonder if rust will be an issue since the
dishwasher is a wet environment?

Kyle Boatright

"Abe" wrote in message
Hi all,
The underside of the lower spray arm in my dishwasher has developed a
hole about 1/2" round. Fortunately, it is located near the outside
edge, so patching it won't affect water flow.
What would be a good material for patching the hole? Is there anything
like a plastic-weld that doesn't require heat?

Why not use JB weld? I've used it on several odd applications with
success.
Essentially, it is an epoxy that comes in a putty form.

I looked at the JBWeld site, and the way they describe it, JBWeld
contains metals. I wonder if rust will be an issue since the
dishwasher is a wet environment?

The metal particles are tiny and are encapsulated by the epoxy. Not a worry
for you.

KB

Michael Daly

On 9-Oct-2005, Abe wrote:

I'll give it a try, then report back. I guess the worst that can
happen is it doesn't work well, and I'll have to spend $54.00 (best
price I can find on the net) for a "genuine" replacement part that
costs all of 99 cents (if that) to manufacture.

Putting fiberglass on it could put it seriously out of balance. You
might have to stick some epoxy/glass on the other end to rebalance it.

The right glue would depend on the type of plastic. If it's a low
surface energy plastic, the adhesive that would work would cost
a significant fraction of the replacement part. Otherwise, the only
problem is ensuring the adhesive and patch can stand the heat in
the washer. Does the replacement part indicate what plastic it's
made of?

Mike
Abe

Putting fiberglass on it could put it seriously out of balance. You
might have to stick some epoxy/glass on the other end to rebalance it.
The right glue would depend on the type of plastic. If it's a low
surface energy plastic, the adhesive that would work would cost
a significant fraction of the replacement part. Otherwise, the only
problem is ensuring the adhesive and patch can stand the heat in
the washer. Does the replacement part indicate what plastic it's
made of?

Doesn't say, but it sure looks and feels like PVC.

Michael Daly

On 9-Oct-2005, Abe wrote:

Doesn't say, but it sure looks and feels like PVC.

I would have guessed ABS. There are adhesives that will
work for both. You might try taking a small piece of
ABS or PVC to make a patch and get an adhesive that works
with both to glue it in.. Weld-On 1007 would work, but the
patch would have to be a close fit.

Mike

patching large hole in concrete wall Rald Home Ownership 0 September 7th 05 12:41 AM
dishwasher leaking badgolferman Home Repair 7 May 5th 05 12:21 PM
GE Dishwasher not draining problem Licensed to Quill Electronics Repair 7 June 27th 04 02:42 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 05:34 AM