Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old steam radiators problem -COLD!

My 3 flats' building is almost 100 years old. It has steam heating
radiators.
The thermostat is on the first floor. When I keep the certain
temperature permanently on the first floor, it heats the second floor
just a little bit and doesn't heat the 3rd floor at all. I think it
happens because it takes very short periods of time to heat 1st floor.
These short periods are too for the steam to come all the way up
through the pipes.
Could anybody give suitable advice how to keep the temperature equal on
each floor?
To change the whole system I cannot afford right now.

The thermostat I use was just recently replaced (RTH230B) and it has 4
different programs. I tried to set up in different ways.
First I set it on 72 for the whole day. But it doesn't work: the
radiators on the second and third floors are always cold.
Now I set it on:
10:30 PM - 72
11:15 PM - 68
6:15 AM - 72
7:00 AM - 68
In this case at 10:30 PM and 6:15 AM the boiler goes on and radiators
have enough time to get hot an all floors. But the parameters of the
thermostat give me an ability to worm up the building only twice a day,
which is not enough in the cold weather.
Please, please, please let me know what to do! Marina

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The only system that I have seen like yours had a flow adjuster on each
radiator. That allowed you to control how much heat the radiator put
out with hot water flowing through it .

If yours has that you can set the first floor radiators to a lower
setting , and the third floor to maximum heat .

Can you save $ by shutting steam radiators in unused rooms? rebbor Home Repair 2 December 4th 06 02:47 AM
Cold Radiators STOOPS UK diy 2 May 22nd 05 09:21 PM
central heating problem.. radiators stay cold Martin UK diy 4 February 16th 05 10:53 PM
Adjusting/Controlling Heat on Steam Radiators Ezra Cove Home Repair 6 October 20th 03 04:20 PM
Boiler problem - hot water, cold radiators Dan the man UK diy 9 October 7th 03 11:26 PM