Junior Member

Location: Astoria, NY
Question Can you save $ by shutting steam radiators in unused rooms?

I am temporarily living on the second floor of a 2 family house that belonged to my relatives until they passed away. If I shut off all of the radiators in the unused apartment, will that save money on the heating bill? Is that bad for the pipes in the downstairs apartment or the heating system? Any help appreciated - Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can you save $ by shutting steam radiators in unused rooms?

--
rebbor

Yes , the boiler should be a demand type system , shutting off heating
loops will reduce the demand .

It should not harm the pipes , depending on how long you have them
closed. Long term shutdown on a clsed system and I would look at one of
the additives .

If its a single system you may find shutoffs for each loop in the
basement near the boiler.

Of course if the weather outside is below freezing you would need to
winterize the unheated rooms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Of course if the weather outside is below freezing you would need to
winterize the unheated rooms.

The quick and dirty way of protecting the radiator from freezing AND
reducing system demand is to just wrap a blanket around the radiators in the
"closed off" rooms. The pipes will still be nice and hot but the room just
will not get much heat anymore.

BTW: it just isn't a good idea to let rooms get TOO cold in the winter.