Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] marks542004@yahoo.com is offline

Default Can you save $ by shutting steam radiators in unused rooms?

rebbor wrote:
I am temporarily living on the second floor of a 2 family house that
belonged to my relatives until they passed away. If I shut off all of
the radiators in the unused apartment, will that save money on the
heating bill? Is that bad for the pipes in the downstairs apartment or
the heating system? Any help appreciated - Thanks.

--
rebbor

Yes , the boiler should be a demand type system , shutting off heating
loops will reduce the demand .

It should not harm the pipes , depending on how long you have them
closed. Long term shutdown on a clsed system and I would look at one of
the additives .

If its a single system you may find shutoffs for each loop in the
basement near the boiler.

Of course if the weather outside is below freezing you would need to
winterize the unheated rooms.