Posted to alt.home.repair
srg srg is offline

Default Refrigerator relay kit changed causing burning smell

I have a Kitchenaid 25cf model about 5 years old.
I just changed the relay on the compressor. I ran it for about 30
minutes and I smelled burning so I shut it off. The fan was running and
the compressor got really hot. But there was no cooling in the fridge.
The relay kit I used was from Maytag instead of whirlpool. Would that
cause the problem? The parts store said it is the same thing.

Thanks.
-srg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"srg" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Kitchenaid 25cf model about 5 years old.
I just changed the relay on the compressor. I ran it for about 30
minutes and I smelled burning so I shut it off. The fan was running and
the compressor got really hot. But there was no cooling in the fridge.
The relay kit I used was from Maytag instead of whirlpool. Would that
cause the problem? The parts store said it is the same thing.

Are you sure you wired it correctly? Sounds like the compressor motor never
started.