Posted to alt.home.repair

Default insulation moisture retarder over panelled ceiling

I've got an extension to a 1941 house, probably added in the 50's, that
has an attic space above it. I want to keep the rooms underneath
warmer. The attic has a wooden floor and rafters covered with
wallboard, and I've no idea what is behind any of it. Judging by the
main attic, the floor probably has some loose rock wool (?) or
fiberglass insulation without vapor retarder, well ventiliated by mice,
and I can't even guess as to the ceiling. There's no outside
ventilation to the space, it was used for storage or crude kid's
playspace. My original plan was just to lay unfaced R-30 batting down
and get on with life.

I noticed one posting here talking about the utility of moisture
retarders on attic insulation given ceiling paint (don't need facing,
paint does enough) vs. panelling (less airtight, should use facing),
and got to thinking... the extension has wood panelling on the ceilings
underneath. Should I lay down a sheet of plastic over the wood floor,
not knowing what is underneath? I know you don't normally put vapor
barriers between insulation, but could it hurt/help much here? Will it
really make much difference either way?

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Vapour barrier should be on the warm side of any insulation or you risk it
causing condensation when the moist air reaches the cold vapour barrier. You
could cover the ceiling with 6 mil polyethylene and drywall over it or just
paint the ceiling with a vapour barrier paint as a substitute barrier, not
as good as heavy poly but better than nothing.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Panelled shower materials Newshound UK diy 4 May 27th 05 07:58 PM
insulation - ceiling bbdata Home Ownership 6 April 1st 05 07:03 PM
Salt Retarder Glenn UK diy 2 July 17th 04 10:41 PM
Plaster ceiling moisture question Todd Home Repair 2 November 1st 03 05:37 PM