Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling connection

I just bought a Keyless plastic lampholder with a socket for a bulb
from home depot. The instructions says to only make break knockouts for
3 1/4'' box only. It also has a covered knockouts with smaller size.
The 3 1/4 was already 'knocked out' in the sealed bag...so that part is
confusing. Anyhow, I bought this with the intention of replacing the
old ceiling canopy, that had just room for 2 wires...which
incidentally, are both red cables. Isn't that odd? Now how do I know
which one is the 'white' wire, if its there at all? There was
previously an old, ugly globe fixture hanging from those wires and it
did work. No, not one of them is painted white. The old measurement is
4 1/2 where it was being held. I'm trying to install a Y shaped fixture
that has flood lights capabilities with the 'screw in' end. That was
the only fixture at home depot that came close to what i thought i
needed. Any comments especially on those 2 red wires? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

With a test light and the switch turned on, test between each wire and
ground, whichever one give you a light is the hot

"noel8" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

HI, I tried what u suggested and it gets no lighting. I also noticed at
the switch box, there are 2 black wires ( not one painted white ) and
yet there I am able to get a light with the tester. i took a look again
at the removed globe that i had put in storage and sure enough the 2
extending wires that were attached to the ceiling red wires, did work.

RBM (remove this) wrote:
With a test light and the switch turned on, test between each wire and
ground, whichever one give you a light is the hot

"noel8" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles bluerock1 Home Repair 4 November 8th 06 05:10 AM
Old Ceiling Fan/Light gone with two wires coming from the ceiling CJ Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 03:22 PM
Installing ceiling fan from an angled ceiling Adam Preble Home Repair 10 September 6th 05 06:54 AM
Vaulted Ceiling--Installing Ceiling Fans Dave Combs Home Repair 0 July 31st 05 02:24 AM
Ceiling fan for new house - high ceiling Dermot O'Loughlin UK diy 7 February 23rd 05 11:22 PM