Posted to alt.home.repair
noel8 noel8 is offline

Default Ceiling connection

I just bought a Keyless plastic lampholder with a socket for a bulb
from home depot. The instructions says to only make break knockouts for
3 1/4'' box only. It also has a covered knockouts with smaller size.
The 3 1/4 was already 'knocked out' in the sealed bag...so that part is
confusing. Anyhow, I bought this with the intention of replacing the
old ceiling canopy, that had just room for 2 wires...which
incidentally, are both red cables. Isn't that odd? Now how do I know
which one is the 'white' wire, if its there at all? There was
previously an old, ugly globe fixture hanging from those wires and it
did work. No, not one of them is painted white. The old measurement is
4 1/2 where it was being held. I'm trying to install a Y shaped fixture
that has flood lights capabilities with the 'screw in' end. That was
the only fixture at home depot that came close to what i thought i
needed. Any comments especially on those 2 red wires? Thanks