Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement Windows

Hi;

I have a 1962 Brick Ranch home in SE Virgina with single pane double
hung windows. I would like to replace them with something that is more
energy efficient, and works better at noise reduction and eliminating
cold drafts. I want to do all the work myself, but I am looking for
manufacturer reccomendations. I do not want to spend $500 per window.
Basically, I am looking for something with very low maintenance (no
painting) and that is energy efficient. Please list any recomendations
for manufactures that provide good quality at modest prices that I can
buy myself and do my own installation. I am leaning toward replacement
windows vs New Windows as I would like to keep my existing molding and
trim.

Thanks
Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair

Komobu --

Since you have a 1962 model, I am assuming that your Windows are
probably version 1.0 or something close. Right now you probably have 2
choices of upgrades, depending on how much you want to spend and wether
or not you need all of the latest features available for Windows.

Assuming that you are comfortable (or reasonably so) witha 44 year old
version, I would suggest upgradng to XP. You will be very amazed at the
clarity and most of all, the energy efficiency (therere was no
EnergyStar requirement in 1962). The one stumbling block you may face
in in installation of your new Windows. Your house, since it is 1962
vintage probably did not come with a DVD. I don't think XP is available
on punch cards (too many trees), so you may have to install them only
in the living room (or family room depending on where your DVD is).

If your house is very large, you may be better off getting a site
license instead of replacing each individual installation. I think full
retail is $199/Window for XP, and upgrades perhaps starting at $89
(don't know about 1962 Windows upgrade).

For full info, link he
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...g/advisor.mspx

Hope this helps.

Borax

komobu wrote:
Hi;

I have a 1962 Brick Ranch home in SE Virgina with single pane double
hung windows. I would like to replace them with something that is more
energy efficient, and works better at noise reduction and eliminating
cold drafts. I want to do all the work myself, but I am looking for
manufacturer reccomendations. I do not want to spend $500 per window.
Basically, I am looking for something with very low maintenance (no
painting) and that is energy efficient. Please list any recomendations
for manufactures that provide good quality at modest prices that I can
buy myself and do my own installation. I am leaning toward replacement
windows vs New Windows as I would like to keep my existing molding and
trim.

Thanks
Pat

Replacement windows Dick Adams Home Repair 2 June 5th 06 08:54 PM
Replacement Windows [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 23rd 06 06:14 PM
Replacement Windows [email protected] Home Repair 6 February 19th 06 12:36 PM
Replacement windows Gntry Home Repair 2 November 8th 05 09:57 PM
Replacement Windows KTECH Home Repair 0 September 26th 05 05:14 PM