Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What happens to Ice Box Defrost Water

In my home ice box, the "defrost water" ends up in an removable evaporation
pan. It doesn't have to be emptied but it does accumulate some slime and I
like to wash it several times a years.

But the ice box in a rental I can "cleaning up" doesn't seem to have a
removable pan.

Is it a case of my not looking hard enough or do some makers feel that it
doesn't need to be cleaned?

EMWTK

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

John Gilmer wrote:
In my home ice box, the "defrost water" ends up in an removable evaporation
pan. It doesn't have to be emptied but it does accumulate some slime and I
like to wash it several times a years.

But the ice box in a rental I can "cleaning up" doesn't seem to have a
removable pan.

Is it a case of my not looking hard enough or do some makers feel that it
doesn't need to be cleaned?

Maybe it's not self-defrosting. If it is, there has to be some
provision.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 00:17:36 -0500, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

In my home ice box, the "defrost water" ends up in an removable evaporation
pan. It doesn't have to be emptied but it does accumulate some slime and I
like to wash it several times a years.

But the ice box in a rental I can "cleaning up" doesn't seem to have a
removable pan.

Is it a case of my not looking hard enough or do some makers feel that it
doesn't need to be cleaned?

EMWTK

If it truly is an "Ice Box" then the drip pan if you have one has to
be emptied every day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe it's not self-defrosting. If it is, there has to be some
provision.

Oh, it's definitely self-defrosting. I can even find when the defrost
water drains down a hole in the back of the freezer. (I guess it heats the
back (it's a side by side) of the freezer section during defrost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If it truly is an "Ice Box" then the drip pan if you have one has to
be emptied every day.

I am old enough that my parents actually used true "ice boxes." From my
childhood I refer to a fridge as an ice box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some units, the drip pan is in the back, stuck to the top of the
compressor. The warmth of the compressor helps reevaporate the
water.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
In my home ice box, the "defrost water" ends up in an removable

evaporation
pan. It doesn't have to be emptied but it does accumulate

some slime and I
like to wash it several times a years.

But the ice box in a rental I can "cleaning up" doesn't seem to

have a
removable pan.

Is it a case of my not looking hard enough or do some makers

feel that it
doesn't need to be cleaned?

EMWTK

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Some units, the drip pan is in the back, stuck to the top of the
compressor. The warmth of the compressor helps reevaporate the
water.

Thanks.

I have the ice box away from the wall for cleaning. I will take off that
thick paper stuff and see if I can see anything that should be washed out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If there is thick cardboard (atached with screws), please put it
back when you're finished cleaning. The cardboard helps direct
air flow. It's important to put it back.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"John Gilmer" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in

message
Some units, the drip pan is in the back, stuck to the top of

the
compressor. The warmth of the compressor helps reevaporate

the
water.

Thanks.

I have the ice box away from the wall for cleaning. I will

take off that
thick paper stuff and see if I can see anything that should be

washed out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
If there is thick cardboard (atached with screws), please put it
back when you're finished cleaning. The cardboard helps direct
air flow. It's important to put it back.\

Will do.

Thanks, again.

--

Christopher A. Young