Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Default Screwed by Canon Rebate

Sorry to hear about your troubles John. You may take that "failure" notice
from Canon back to the store you purchased it at and see if they can either
intervene with Canon on your behalf or honor the rebate themselves. I
actually had some luck with Staples in that area. As for Rebates I think
everyone has that same problem. I'm also very anal about documentation by
scanning in everything to save so I can have it later. I actually think
this practice goes on so much I can't believe some Attorney hasn't come up
with a class action suit like they do against the drug companies. You might
also think about sending a letter to the Better Business Bureau against
Canon but make sure you have your documentation and ducks in a row.

But then again as many newsgroups as you sent this to I doubt you will find
my answer on this one.

On 12/28/06 9:05 PM, in article ,
"John" wrote:

I know that the institution of rebates is meant to rip you off so I'm
quite anal about paying attention to the details and ALWAYS sending in
the rebate with delivery confirmation. The delivery confirmation at
least minimizes the "Sorry, we never received your rebate" or "Sorry, we
didn't receive your rebate in time" excuses.

I read the rebate forms several times looking for the "gotcha's". I know
I go through way more trouble than I should for $20-$50 but it's the
principle. They make it as annoying as possible to claim a rebate so
that most people won't bother. I'm the one that bothers.

I send in my rebate to Canon along with all the rebate form, purchase
receipt and I cut out the UPC code from the box and put that in the
envelope. My new tactic is to use wide tape and tape the UPC code to
the rebate form.

I checked on my rebate status just now.

Error(s): An original qualifying UPC was not included

Yep. No matter how hard I tried, Canon still managed to screw me over.

Since they want "an original" qualifying UPC", my copy won't suffice.

Canon, the next time I'm in the market for a product I'll remember this
incident.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Gary KW4Z" wrote in message
Sorry to hear about your troubles John. You may take that "failure"
notice
from Canon back to the store you purchased it at and see if they can
either
intervene with Canon on your behalf or honor the rebate themselves. I
actually had some luck with Staples in that area. As for Rebates I think
everyone has that same problem.

I have used this tactic three times, and it has worked all three times:

I went to the store and asked what they would do to make it right. When
they wouldn't, I asked for the manager, and they wouldn't make it right. I
told them that I would picket their store.

Picketing is easy, but you have to do it by the book. First, you send a
registered letter TO THAT MANAGER stating the purpose of your picketing.
Tell them the hours you are going to picket and the dates. Tell them that
you will invite the local news channel that covers consumer complaints to
come and film your protest.

If you do make it to the picket stage, make up sign(s) with your message in
a few words.

Like CANON WON'T HONOR REBATES

Avoid words like fraud or anything that they can say is slander. Make them
simple and to the point so anyone passing by can read in two seconds.

You must observe public laws such as:

Not blocking vehicles from entering or exiting, not blocking the sidewalk
traffic, not stepping into the street, not waving your sign past the edge
of the sidewalk on either side, not speaking to people to plead your case
unless they ask first why you are protesting, not passing onto the private
property, staying at all times on public sidewalks and driveways, really
easy stuff, but lines you need to know.

Give them two weeks to resolve the issue before you picket.

All three were taken care of before I picketed. If you don't get
satisfaction, the worth of picketing must be balanced against how much time
you want to spend to get your pound of flesh.

HTH

Steve

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

I have used this tactic three times, and it has worked all three times:

I went to the store and asked what they would do to make it right. When
they wouldn't, I asked for the manager, and they wouldn't make it right. I
told them that I would picket their store.

Picketing is easy, but you have to do it by the book. First, you send a
registered letter TO THAT MANAGER stating the purpose of your picketing.
Tell them the hours you are going to picket and the dates. Tell them that
you will invite the local news channel that covers consumer complaints to
come and film your protest.

I assume this was after you called the rebate processor and
tried to get them to fix it but they refused to? Since they will
often fix it over the phone, which is a hell of a lot easier
than your whole picketing thing, Registered (did you mean that
and not Certified?) letter, etc.

Bill
Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

[...]

Sheesh. If you're going to shoot holes in my story, aim for the solid
parts.

The issues were with other areas. Shoddy mechanical work, faulty computer
repairs, and faulty home service.

Certified/registered ................ does anyone here not comprehend the
gist of the two?

Steve

Screwed by Canon Rebate RichA Home Repair 64 February 19th 07 04:19 AM
Screwed by Canon Rebate Gary KW4Z Home Repair 8 December 30th 06 07:34 PM
Screwed by Canon Rebate Cheri Home Repair 1 December 29th 06 04:52 AM
routing a rebate mp UK diy 1 January 29th 05 11:11 AM
rebate, rebate,rebate,rebate Satish Bhardwaj Home Ownership 1 November 8th 04 10:22 PM