Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painted Shower - now it's discoloring

I painted my cast iron tub a few months ago with oil-based exterior
white enamel paint. It looked great at first, but now it's starting to
turn more of a cream color.

Thinking it was just dirty, I hit it with some "Soft Scrub with bleach"
and it didn't help. Is the paint yellowing, or is it something in my
water? I have old galvanized pipes through the house and it is a bit
rusty, but all the paint seems to all be the same cream color, even
areas that aren't ever directly exposed to water, only to steam.

If it is the water, is there some sort of urethane clear coat or
something I can spray or roll on that will hold up to the heat, water
and chemicals?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I painted my cast iron tub a few months ago with oil-based exterior
white enamel paint. It looked great at first, but now it's starting to
turn more of a cream color.

Thinking it was just dirty, I hit it with some "Soft Scrub with bleach"
and it didn't help. Is the paint yellowing, or is it something in my
water? I have old galvanized pipes through the house and it is a bit
rusty, but all the paint seems to all be the same cream color, even
areas that aren't ever directly exposed to water, only to steam.

If it is the water, is there some sort of urethane clear coat or
something I can spray or roll on that will hold up to the heat, water
and chemicals?

You've just discovered why nobody paints cast iron bath tubs. Before you
painted, what was the surface like? Old messed up porcelain?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I painted my cast iron tub a few months ago with oil-based exterior
white enamel paint. It looked great at first, but now it's starting to
turn more of a cream color.

That is not the proper way to re-coat a tub. There are some epoxy paints
for just that, as well as some methods used by professionals in that line of
work. I think you have a lot of work ahead of you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It was 'messed up' porcelain before... it was very etched and it just
wasn't looking so hot.

The paint is more of a cream color than yellow...it's just that I've
just put in some trim that I painted with the same gallon of paint, and
it is a few shades whiter than the tub. If it is the paint causing
this, than I guess I'm just going to have to accept a cream color
instead of the gleaming white.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
It was 'messed up' porcelain before... it was very etched and it just
wasn't looking so hot.

The paint is more of a cream color than yellow...it's just that I've
just put in some trim that I painted with the same gallon of paint, and
it is a few shades whiter than the tub. If it is the paint causing
this, than I guess I'm just going to have to accept a cream color
instead of the gleaming white.

Just to entertain yourself, did you read the instructions on the paint can,
before or after the debacle?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The iron wasn't exposed in that tub... and I painted the ugly 60's
green tile surround at the same time...and it's turned cream color as
well.

I've painted molding with this stuff before and it hasn't yellowed at
all. I figure it's got something to do with the water or heat or
something that the shower is exposed to and the moldings are not.

Thanks for all the help gents. The cream color is kinda growing on me
now that I know I can't just scrub it off or something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Exactly what paint did you use for this? Make, model, link, etc.

Sounds like you used whatever you had instead of paint specifically
intended for this purpose. And exactly how did you prerare the
surface? How did you apply the paint?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I painted my cast iron tub a few months ago with oil-based exterior
white enamel paint. It looked great at first, but now it's starting to
turn more of a cream color.

Thinking it was just dirty, I hit it with some "Soft Scrub with bleach"
and it didn't help. Is the paint yellowing, or is it something in my
water? I have old galvanized pipes through the house and it is a bit
rusty, but all the paint seems to all be the same cream color, even
areas that aren't ever directly exposed to water, only to steam.

If it is the water, is there some sort of urethane clear coat or
something I can spray or roll on that will hold up to the heat, water
and chemicals?

Oil paints yellow over time, especially if not exposed to sunlight. You
should have used an epoxy, probably.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think your biggest problems are using a rust converter instead of
completely removing the rust, and using the wrong paint. I'd remove
all the paint and rust and try again the appropriate materials..

Painted Grout [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 14th 06 01:27 PM
Painted deck:( [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 15th 06 10:58 PM
Painted Wall Help toolgirl Home Repair 4 November 23rd 05 11:48 PM
Painted Finish BobS Woodworking 15 July 13th 05 05:39 AM
Can tile be painted? Billy Home Ownership 7 June 14th 04 05:04 AM