Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Billy

Default Can tile be painted?

We have white, slick tile in our kitchen and bathrooms, and hate it (it was
already installed when we found the house).

Can slick tile like this be painted as a temporary redecorating technique until
I get the time to install new tile (likely several years)? I am more concerned
with redoing the kitchen (behind countertops, stove backsplash and behind sink)
than the bathrooms.

What kind of paint, and can I paint over the grout too?
Babbling Brook Photography

If it's only temporary you can do it but you will have to rough the surface
beforehand and then just use latex or whatever you want. The grout will
accept the paint no problem as long as it hasn't been sealed and in that
case just rough it up. remember the better you rough the surfaces the better
the paint will adhere to it.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Babbling Brook Photography

"Billy" wrote in message
We have white, slick tile in our kitchen and bathrooms, and hate it (it

was
already installed when we found the house).

Can slick tile like this be painted as a temporary redecorating technique

until
I get the time to install new tile (likely several years)? I am more

concerned
with redoing the kitchen (behind countertops, stove backsplash and behind

sink)
than the bathrooms.

What kind of paint, and can I paint over the grout too?

ToMh

"Billy" wrote in message ...
We have white, slick tile in our kitchen and bathrooms, and hate it (it was
already installed when we found the house).

Can slick tile like this be painted as a temporary redecorating technique until
I get the time to install new tile (likely several years)? I am more concerned
with redoing the kitchen (behind countertops, stove backsplash and behind sink)
than the bathrooms.

What kind of paint, and can I paint over the grout too?

I wouldn't paint the inside of a shower. For that, there are
companies that will paint the tile. Don't know much about it,
but I think it's similar to what they do for a bathtub, which
I believe is some sort of epoxy resin.

Billy

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:54:15 -0700, "ToMh" wrote:

I wouldn't paint the inside of a shower. For that, there are
companies that will paint the tile. Don't know much about it,
but I think it's similar to what they do for a bathtub, which
I believe is some sort of epoxy resin.

yeah, after reading a little more I decided I definitely wouldn't try doing this
in the bathroom.

Still debating the kitchen. Maybe I'll put together a few tiles and try
painting them and see what it looks like.
ameijers

"Billy" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:54:15 -0700, "ToMh" wrote:

I wouldn't paint the inside of a shower. For that, there are
companies that will paint the tile. Don't know much about it,
but I think it's similar to what they do for a bathtub, which
I believe is some sort of epoxy resin.

yeah, after reading a little more I decided I definitely wouldn't try

doing this
in the bathroom.

Still debating the kitchen. Maybe I'll put together a few tiles and try
painting them and see what it looks like.

Painted tiles will look like hell, at best. They also won't hold up under
cleaning. Park small appliances in front of them, put up towel holders, put
up chicken stickers, relamp the kitchen so the tile is always in shadow.
Paint the walls white to match the tile, and they won't jump out at you when
you walk in.

aem sends...

Billy

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 02:14:06 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

Painted tiles will look like hell, at best. They also won't hold up under
cleaning. snip

I would tend to agree, but I wonder if you could get a decent look by
using a small roller to paint a consistent texture. No way I would
use a brush as I'm sure every stroke would be easily visible.

But you're right about the cleaning. That would concern me the most.
Oops, got some frying oil on the tile, wipe it off and the paint comes
with it....

John Hoskins

"ToMh" wrote in message ...
"Billy" wrote in message ...
We have white, slick tile in our kitchen and bathrooms, and hate it (it was
already installed when we found the house).

Can slick tile like this be painted as a temporary redecorating technique until
I get the time to install new tile (likely several years)? I am more concerned
with redoing the kitchen (behind countertops, stove backsplash and behind sink)
than the bathrooms.

What kind of paint, and can I paint over the grout too?

I wouldn't paint the inside of a shower. For that, there are
companies that will paint the tile. Don't know much about it,
but I think it's similar to what they do for a bathtub, which
I believe is some sort of epoxy resin.

They call this re-glazing around here. We had it done in our last
house, and liked the results. No more grout to clean. We lived in the
house about 2 years after that, and didn't run into any concerns with
wear or anything. Might want to check into it. I think they use an
acid to etch the surface, than adhere something (maybe epoxy) to it.
Much cheaper than new tile. The biggest issue was making sure the tile
surface was solid. Too much give and the stuff would crack.

In our latest house we have a 3rd shower out of commission because of
a bad wall with soft tile. Considering fixing just the tile on that
side, then getting the whole room reglazed so everyting matches. The
house was built in 1965, so it's hard to find tile which matches
anymore.
Good luck,
John.
Lauri

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:47:11 -0400, Billy wrote:

What kind of paint, and can I paint over the grout too?

I've seen them paint tile with a special kind of paint (acutally
called "tile paint", I believe) on a home improvement home called
"House Invaders". The show is on BBC America and is from the UK, so I
don't know if we have anything like that on this side of the pond or
not.

Lauri in WA

I like my email spamless