Junior Member

Default Painted Wall Help

I am trying to paint over wallboard (like paneling with a picture design) in my bathroom. The first time I applied a primer and then my first coat of paint. Several days later I started to apply the second coat and it basically peeled like a face mask. So I started with just the one wall and removed as much of the old paint as possible, lightly sanded it, and then not thinking applied the first coat of paint without primer. Now if it gets real steamy in the bathroom the wall is sticky. What can I do? I really want the ugly blue roses from the previous owner to disappear but not really wanting to get into putting in more drywall (two other projects going on also involving new walls!) Any advice - all appreciated!!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

I am trying to paint over wallboard (like paneling with a picture
design) in my bathroom. The first time I applied a primer and then my
first coat of paint. Several days later I started to apply the second
coat and it basically peeled like a face mask. So I started with just
the one wall and removed as much of the old paint as possible, lightly
sanded it, and then not thinking applied the first coat of paint
without primer. Now if it gets real steamy in the bathroom the wall is
sticky. What can I do? I really want the ugly blue roses from the
previous owner to disappear but not really wanting to get into putting
in more drywall (two other projects going on also involving new walls!)
Any advice - all appreciated!!

Try a layer of polyurethane first. If that doesn't work,
paper it with plain brown paper, and then paint that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

--
toolgirl

You might try Kilz. It pretty much covers up anything. You can find it
at HD or Lowe's among other places.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
siralfred

I get the impression that you don't have a fan that vents the moisture
out of the room. If this is the case, your best bet is to use exterior
grade paint that will be more resistant to humid conditions. Strip and
sand what you have now. Then prime with an oilbase and finish with a
coat or two of exterior latex. It will be smelly, so keep the
window(s) open as much as possible. Good Luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

toolgirl wrote:
I am trying to paint over wallboard (like paneling with a picture
design) in my bathroom. The first time I applied a primer and then my
first coat of paint. Several days later I started to apply the second
coat and it basically peeled like a face mask. So I started with just
the one wall and removed as much of the old paint as possible, lightly
sanded it, and then not thinking applied the first coat of paint
without primer. Now if it gets real steamy in the bathroom the wall is
sticky. What can I do? I really want the ugly blue roses from the
previous owner to disappear but not really wanting to get into putting
in more drywall (two other projects going on also involving new walls!)
Any advice - all appreciated!!

Do you know what the stuff is made of? Wood paneling with vinyl
covering? If it is vinyl coated, you need a special primer. Any paint
store has them, Kilz makes one. What kind of primer and paint did you
put on? Use the suitable solvent and remove what is dissolving or
loose, wash well with strong detergent and start over.

Wall Register Extension Matthew Simmons Home Ownership 0 July 27th 05 03:44 PM
Deck Set on Retaining Wall jacktripper Home Repair 6 July 22nd 04 06:22 PM
Bad odor coming from expansion joint around interior wall of home John Hughes Home Repair 2 December 9th 03 06:05 PM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM