Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with Refridgerator Water Line

I installed a new line... it's actually 2 lines with a connector. I
bought the 15' copper water line packages from Home Depot... so it's 30
feet now.
At first there was very little pressure to the fridge, so I went under
the house to inspect the line. It wasn't leaking, but upon moving the
copper piping just a little bit, one of the lines just popped out of
the nut that was attached to it.
(The copper lines in the packages have 2 different ends. On one end,
it's a little rounded off and has an indentation so you can slide the
nut over the end and it doesn't go past the indent. On the other end,
it's a straight cut off so you can slide the nut to wherever you want.)
Well for some reason, now the piping just pops off the nut whenever
there is water pressure. This is a problem with the rounded off ends
that have indentations... when you screw the nut in and add pressure,
the line pops off.
On the ends that have a straight cut, I slide the nut on a little
further then bend the very tip of the line so that it can't slide off
of the nut.
AND it's extremely difficult to make a perfectly flat cut to an end.
I've been trying to do all this while in the crawl space under my
house. Extremely frustrating and MUDDY!

This must sound confusing. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
How do these copper lines with the sliding nuts work so that they don't
leak or pop out under pressure???

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

And... any idea as to why there was no water pressure before? There
was no leak before. Thanks again

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you are describing a compression fitting, there should be a
ferrule of some kind of soft yellow metal that you slip over the tubing
as well as a nut, is this not the case?

Alternately it could be a flare fitting in which case you would need to
flare the tubing for it to work correctly, although the flaring tool
would likely cost more than the tubing itself ($20-40 at your local
auto parts store)

good luck

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would go back to home depot and pick up some of the plastic
tubing...usually comes in a kit. It's back by the shower stalls and
stuff, near the bathroom fixtures for some reason.

1/4" OD (outside diameter) should do the job without any trouble.
Plastic is way easier to hook up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, " wrote:
I would go back to home depot and pick up some of the plastic
tubing...usually comes in a kit. It's back by the shower stalls and
stuff, near the bathroom fixtures for some reason.

1/4" OD (outside diameter) should do the job without any trouble.
Plastic is way easier to hook up.

Yup, the standard quarter inch copper pipe is just horrible
in this application. Nothing but trouble. Even worse if you
want to connect a filter in-line -- those compression
fittings onto the plastic filter bodies are total crap.

Just buy a plastic tube, preferably with the steel braided
cover for strength and protection. Problems over, permanently.

They're readily available in a range of lengths.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes N8N, there is a ferrule and nut, but the line pops out of that
whenever the pressure is on.

I used copper because I heard it was better than plastic.

Just seems like a crappy system how a little water pressure blows the
line off the nut.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Then it's the wrong ferrule for that tubing.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes N8N, there is a ferrule and nut, but the line pops out of that
whenever the pressure is on.

I used copper because I heard it was better than plastic.

Just seems like a crappy system how a little water pressure blows the
line off the nut.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Very often, if the compression fitting won't compress, you have
to soak the fitting with WD=40 or other oil. That way the ferrule
will slide and squeeze into shape instead of jamming.

It's hard to explain, but a good shot of penetrating oil sure
makes compression fittings work better.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Pete C." wrote in message

Yes N8N, there is a ferrule and nut, but the line pops out of

that
whenever the pressure is on.

I used copper because I heard it was better than plastic.

Just seems like a crappy system how a little water pressure

blows the
line off the nut.

You have to tighten those compression fittings fairly tight to

get them
to seal. That little tapered ferrule is compressed in the taper

by the
nut and clamps down on the soft copper tubing, actually cutting

into the
tubing a bit and locking it in place. If you have the parts

assembled
per the diagrams included with the fittings and it's popping

apart, you
haven't tightened them enough.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

First, you need a tubing cutter to, uh, well, cut the tubing.
That's the only way to make a square end.

second, when you go to put the fitting together, the nut slides
onto the tubing. And second, a "ferrule" which looks kinda like a
mini wedding band. When you tighten the nut, the ferrule
compresses onto the tubing. Soak the nut, ferrule, and fitting
with penetrating oil, so it will seat tighter.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

ups.com...