SCOTT

Default Refridgerator Problem - Does Not Cool Properly

Hey guys, my fridge has not been cooling properly. And same for the freezer
portion, ice is taking longer to make. I cleaned the dust from the coils.
What else should I suspect? The fridge is only 4 years old.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Ken

SCOTT wrote:

Hey guys, my fridge has not been cooling properly. And same for the freezer
portion, ice is taking longer to make. I cleaned the dust from the coils.
What else should I suspect? The fridge is only 4 years old.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Is the refrigerator completely defrosting? Is the defrost water
leaving the freezer area and making it via the tubing to the pan?
Bill

Some frost free models have a heating element on a timer. Every so often,
the refrigerator will shut down, then the heating element will turn on for
a short period to remove ice build-up around the cooling coils (which may
be hidden from view).

If the heating element/timer is not functioning properly, then ice can be
blocking the air flow. Check to be sure air is flowing where it should or
if you can see ice build-up through any air vents inside the freezer. Or
try sticking everything in ice chests and defrosting for 12 to 24 hours or
so with doors open. (There can be a solid block of ice hidden behind a
partition and it can take quite awhile for it to melt.)

If the defrosting gets it working again, then the problem happens again in
2 weeks to a month, then ice has built back up blocking the air flow.

Of course this all depends on the model of fridge you have, so could be
something else.

May want to get a refrigerator thermometer so you can tell if it is cooling
properly after defrosting and then be able to notice more quickly if the
problem crops back up again.

"SCOTT" wrote in message
Hey guys, my fridge has not been cooling properly. And same for the

freezer
portion, ice is taking longer to make. I cleaned the dust from the coils.
What else should I suspect? The fridge is only 4 years old.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

John Willis

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 12:32:59 GMT, "SCOTT" scribbled
this interesting note:

Hey guys, my fridge has not been cooling properly. And same for the freezer
portion, ice is taking longer to make. I cleaned the dust from the coils.
What else should I suspect? The fridge is only 4 years old.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Here's the list of things to check:

Blockage in the ductwork.
Timer.
Heating element.
Thermostat.

I recently went through this exact problem. In our case it ended up
being the thermostat, which is a $12.00 part.

Good luck.

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

SCOTT wrote:
Hey guys, my fridge has not been cooling properly. And same for the freezer
portion, ice is taking longer to make. I cleaned the dust from the coils.
What else should I suspect? The fridge is only 4 years old.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Had an identical problem recently .. .. .. thermostat was the culprit.

This is cool ! Geoman Home Repair 3 January 31st 05 12:42 AM
Using pool water to cool A/C Pumbaa Home Repair 24 September 8th 04 02:37 PM
Toilet not flushing stool properly Bill Cory Home Repair 14 July 22nd 04 03:59 PM
How do you tell if a toilet is properly seated DanG Home Repair 2 June 22nd 04 01:44 PM
Furnace not working properly x Home Repair 12 October 26th 03 07:22 PM