Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question regarding stripping cedar garage doors

First off, many appologies if this is a topic that get frequent
mention in this newsgroup. I have lurked here for a while and have not
seen any similar questions, so here goes:

Our home, built new for us in 1988, has cedar garage doors. These are
the type of doors that have something like 5 rows of panels with 3
panels in each row. These doors face East and hence get a good dose of
the sun's rays every day. And, of course, they have subsequently
turned black at the bottom of the doors with diminishing amounts of
darkness as you work toward the top row of the doors. I really did not
nitice how much they had turned black until I was looking at some
video tape of the house when it was new. These doors were beautiful.

The question is: is there a way for a homeowner who does not have a
pressure washer to strip and possible bleach (or however you would
remove the dark cedar colour) the panels to restore the doors to
something close to their original beauty. A pressure washer could be
rented if necessary, as this is a problem that really does need to be
addressed once summer returns to beautiful Manitoba.

Thanks very much for your assistance...

Regards,

Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

Manual Toothbrushes Manufacturer - Yangzhou Shuguang Toothbrush Factory
http://www.xanga.com/sgtoothbrush , http://www.sunrisebrush.com ,
http://www.chinabboss.com , http://20six.co.uk/sgtoothbrush ,
http://www.xanga.com/sunrisebrush , http://sgtoothbrush.livejournal.com

Wooden Cedar Shoe Trees & Insoles Manufacturer - China Toplevel
Co.,Limited
http://www.xanga.com/shoetrees , http://www.xanga.com/shoetree ,
http://www.toplevel.net.cn

Posted to alt.home.repair

i've bleached cedar with a hudson type sprayer loaded with a bleach
solution (don't recall the recipe, but someone will probably post) and
a garden hose. spray on the bleach, let is sit a while, and rinse
thoroughly with the hose. don't really think you'd want to take a
pressure washer to a cedar garage door. the black might be hard to get
off. you might want to invest in an orbital sander if you don't have
one and give them a good sanding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you for so graciously sending me the message regarding your
gorgeous line of shoe trees. I always thought that shoes were a
manufactured product and never realized that the darn things grew on
trees. What's next...an animal that produces steaks and ribs and
brisket??

On 25 Dec 2006 16:36:12 -0800, "shoetrrs"
wrote:

Manual Toothbrushes Manufacturer - Yangzhou Shuguang Toothbrush Factory
http://www.xanga.com/sgtoothbrush , http://www.sunrisebrush.com ,
http://www.chinabboss.com , http://20six.co.uk/sgtoothbrush ,
http://www.xanga.com/sunrisebrush , http://sgtoothbrush.livejournal.com

Wooden Cedar Shoe Trees & Insoles Manufacturer - China Toplevel
Co.,Limited
http://www.xanga.com/shoetrees , http://www.xanga.com/shoetree ,
http://www.toplevel.net.cn

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks very much for the information. I will do a bit more exploring
the subject using the information that you have provided. More than
anything, I was looking to see if it was possible to perform such
maintenance on cedar garage doors...and now I know that you can.

Thanks again. It is appreciated very much...

Regards,

Doug