Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drop Ceiling Cost for my almost finished basement

I've nearly completed my basement. I did all the insulation, stud
walls, drywall, etc myself but now it is time for the ceiling. I'm
going with a drop ceiling b/c I need access in many places.
I have a "Friend", more of a guy I know who does drop ceilings. He is
going to do the ceiling for me but I have no idea how much it will
cost. I have told him I want the least expensive route, not worried
about appearance too much.
1) Can anyone tell me what it should cost, minus labor b/c he should be
giving me a deal on that
2) Would this be a per square foot cost or overall cost?
Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
1) Can anyone tell me what it should cost, minus labor b/c he should be
giving me a deal on that
2) Would this be a per square foot cost or overall cost?
Thanks in advance!

$327.86
Overall cost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Materials, grid and tile, will run around a $1 / SF unless you get
into fancy stuff.
___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've nearly completed my basement. I did all the insulation,
stud
walls, drywall, etc myself but now it is time for the ceiling.
I'm
going with a drop ceiling b/c I need access in many places.
I have a "Friend", more of a guy I know who does drop ceilings.
He is
going to do the ceiling for me but I have no idea how much it
will
cost. I have told him I want the least expensive route, not
worried
about appearance too much.
1) Can anyone tell me what it should cost, minus labor b/c he
should be
giving me a deal on that
2) Would this be a per square foot cost or overall cost?
Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 23 Dec 2006 19:01:41 -0800, wrote:

I've nearly completed my basement. I did all the insulation, stud
walls, drywall, etc myself but now it is time for the ceiling. I'm
going with a drop ceiling b/c I need access in many places.
I have a "Friend", more of a guy I know who does drop ceilings. He is
going to do the ceiling for me but I have no idea how much it will
cost. I have told him I want the least expensive route, not worried
about appearance too much.
1) Can anyone tell me what it should cost, minus labor b/c he should be
giving me a deal on that

I have no idea what it shoudl cost, but should not let him start
without knowing the full price, and have a contract in writing.

If you told him that appearance doesn't worry you too much, that could
be an open door to not just buying ceiling pieces which aren't as
pretty as some others, but not trimming around pipes, corners, and
even trimming but doing a hatchet job. Have you seen any other
ceilings he's done? It doesn't require that he be planning to cheat
you. He may have low standards or an overblown view of his
capabilities. I know I have those.

Rereading, I assume you told him what you did to help him price
things, not because you were not going to do what i say above.

I agree with the other guy. I think sheetrock would be far more
difficult than the ceiling, where everything is measureable, and only
small losses are incurred if some part has to be redone. (You cut
wrong or you measured wrong.)

I completely forgot to mention that it is a 1000 sqft area.
Well, I can't do it myself b/c I'm having knee surgery after Christmas
and it needs completed b/c my wife is having a baby and we need the
space. Otherwise, I'd do it myself.

Why not postpone the surgery, postpone Christmas, or postpone the
baby? You can have a baby without having a ceiling. Nothing about
putting in the ceiling will endanger the baby. You can even do the
cutting outside when spring comes.

2) Would this be a per square foot cost or overall cost?
Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had planned on doing a drywall ceiling so I didn't think anything
about including a dropped ceiling in my original plans. I came across
this guy at work when he said he was looking for a puppy and we got to
talking and then he said he did drop ceilings. I said, hey, that's
perfect. We didn't really discuss what it would cost b/c I said I'd
just buy the matierals. I'd like to give him something for his work so
I'm just working up a budget.
I'm not trying to verify that I'm getting a good deal, just trying to
see what it will cost. No reason to be trying to undercut anyone.
Clearly, you're very knowledgable about this stuff based on your other
postings around these boards so I'd love to have your help rather than
flaming. That's all. I will certainly try to be more clear when
posting next time.

dpb wrote:
wrote:
I gave the guy a dog to give to his daughter for Christmas, thats why
he'll be giving me a deal. Man, you're are a jerk but thanks for
taking the time to reply.

You're, of course, welcome...

Nothing in previous post indicated any reason other than he was "a guy
I know" nor that there was anything but an attempt to "get by on the
cheap" on that basis. If you've lurked a.h.r for a while, you will
know of the multitude of stories of similar ilk that start of w/ a
friend or acquaintance helping that turn out sour (at best)...

But, frankly I still don't understand why the projected cost wouldn't
have been part of the original conversation(s) and so to then come to a
newsgroup and ask for outside information to verify (apparently) one is
getting a good deal seems at least superficially like an to undercut to
have information to use against the fella'. If not, good...

Posted to alt.home.repair

All very useful info, thank you.
But, I especially like the "postpone the baby" part. My wife will love
that plan.
No, we have a pretty small home so I really want to have this done to
give our family room to grow. That's the only reason for wanting it
done now rather than later.