Posted to alt.home.repair

Default china-plate(clock): how to attach picture-hanging wire to it?

We've got this "china-plate kitchen-clock" to hang on
the wall.

It came with one wee attachment-point and wee wire-loop,
darn near impossible to get to go over a picture-hook
on the wall.

What I want to do is to treat it as a picture-hanging
job, ie with *two* attachment-points, several inches
apart, to which I can attach a picture-hanging wire,
making an upside-down V, and hang *that* over the
wall-hook.

(That way it'll be easy to hang, and also easy to
get the noon-position vertically over the six-position.)

QUESTION: how to attach the picture-hanging wire to
the (back side of) the plate?

Glue?: What *kind* of glue?

Drilling two holes? Nah -- "boss" wouldn't allow me
to do that!

Some kind of ready-made plate-hanging hardware?

(Might not be able to do that either, if visible --
deemed "ugly", "ruins the look", etc.)

Ideas?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , (David Combs) wrote:
We've got this "china-plate kitchen-clock" to hang on
the wall.

It came with one wee attachment-point and wee wire-loop,
darn near impossible to get to go over a picture-hook
on the wall.

What I want to do is to treat it as a picture-hanging
job, ie with *two* attachment-points, several inches
apart, to which I can attach a picture-hanging wire,
making an upside-down V, and hang *that* over the
wall-hook.

(That way it'll be easy to hang, and also easy to
get the noon-position vertically over the six-position.)

QUESTION: how to attach the picture-hanging wire to
the (back side of) the plate?

Glue?: What *kind* of glue?

I've done a very similar job with generous globs of
a slow-cure two-part epoxy. Just check the directions
to ensure the specific epoxy you use is compatible
with the materials you're attempting to glue.

If possible, try and scratch the glaze a little at
the points you apply the glue to get the best
adhesion you can. I used a minature and very hard
file but a glass or tile cutter will probably work
just as well.

In my case the glue globs have about the diameter of
a dime.

It's held about 10 years and counting...

Having said all that, a mechanical fastening would
be preferable if you can find a way... I couldn't
either!

Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would probably use a plate hanger. If you look carefully, you can
find some where the hooks that hold the plate are very unobtrusive.
This is one of those times when shopping carefully (don't buy the first
one you see in the dime store) and spending a little more (like three
bucks as opposed to ninety-nine cents) will be worth it. Antique shops
are often a good source for the better quality ones.

Jo Ann