Posted to alt.home.repair
vic vic is offline

Default Looking for new home telephone service

Just moved and am looking for home telephone service that is reliable
and inexpensive.
Any of you been there and done that recently?
Would appreciate your experiences in finding and using alternative home
telephone service providers.
Thanks for your help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

vic wrote:
Just moved and am looking for home telephone service that is reliable
and inexpensive.
Any of you been there and done that recently?
Would appreciate your experiences in finding and using alternative home
telephone service providers.
Thanks for your help!

I think the local phone utility in Khazakstan would be a good choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

vic wrote:
Just moved and am looking for home telephone service that is reliable
and inexpensive.
Any of you been there and done that recently?
Would appreciate your experiences in finding and using alternative
home telephone service providers.
Thanks for your help!

Local telephone company is usually the most reliable, but a close second
will be the cable company and they are usually cheaper. Call both and
decide.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some people go all cellphone.......

Is DSL available? Or cable internet?

Then VOIP may save some money

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
vic wrote:
Just moved and am looking for home telephone service that is reliable
and inexpensive.
Any of you been there and done that recently?
Would appreciate your experiences in finding and using alternative
home telephone service providers.
Thanks for your help!

Local telephone company is usually the most reliable, but a close
second will be the cable company and they are usually cheaper. Call both
and decide.

--
Joseph Meehan

Does this person want us to do their shopping for them? I wish I had a
secretary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have "regular" (Verizon) phone service for one line and
http://sunrocket.com phone service using my high-speed Internet access for
the second line. That way, if the power goes out, I still have [hone
service; if the phone service goes out I have the VOIP phone service. The
http://sunrocket.com VOIP service sounds as good as my "regular" phone
service, is WAY cheaper for unlimited calling, has all the features
included, but is a little geeky to used (I go online to set call forwarding,
etc. But, I also get my messages online from anywhere.).

One weird but cool thing about the sunrocket.com VOIP service is that you
can take it with you and use it anywhere where you have high-speed Internet
access -- same phone number, same unlimited calling, etc. So, if you go on
vacation somewhere for 2 weeks, and have Internet access there, you can
bring your phone service with you and it works. The online problem is that
the 9-1-1 address location that you set up for calls from your home stays
the same. In other words, if you call 9-1-1 while on vacation, the
call-taker will see your home address info on his/hers computer screen.

"vic" wrote in message
ps.com...
Just moved and am looking for home telephone service that is reliable
and inexpensive.
Any of you been there and done that recently?
Would appreciate your experiences in finding and using alternative home
telephone service providers.
Thanks for your help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"vic" writes:

Just moved and am looking for home telephone service that is reliable
and inexpensive.
Any of you been there and done that recently?
Would appreciate your experiences in finding and using alternative home
telephone service providers.
Thanks for your help!

AT&T's VOIP service sucks ass in my brother in law's experience. The
fun of fingerpointing at his broadband internet provider when the
inbound telephone number goes right to voicemail instead of ringing in
the house.

You'll be very hard pressed to beat the reliability of the plain ole
telephone network. And be prepared for the phone not to work in
times when you'd like it most to work (i.e. power outages).

Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"vic" wrote in message
ps.com...
Just moved and am looking for home telephone service that is reliable
and inexpensive.
Any of you been there and done that recently?
Would appreciate your experiences in finding and using alternative home
telephone service providers.
Thanks for your help!

Your neighbors would know more about that than us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was there last year and am still doing it.
I decided to go with DSL service, and the standard phone service for
$18 (not counting the DSL of course). I started off with caller ID on
the phone but decided that it wasn't worth the $9 they charged for it.
I actually looked in to getting a VoIP phone (and still may do that),
but since I live in Georgia, I still have to pay for the $18 (plus
"fees") land line even if I don't have the phone line. Otherwise it
cost about $15 MORE with just DSL and no phone line.

I looked into Comcast (digital voice), but my house doesn't exist on
their network, so they can't give me service. Of course, neighbors on
all three sides of me are in their system, but they are still working
on sending someone out to "check on it". That was a year ago.

Oh yeah, we use our cell phone a bunch since most of the people we talk
to are "IN" the network. Caller ID is free on that ironically. So is
long distance. Not dependent on internet service either. I vote cell
phone. Check with neighbors about what picks up best in the area.

vic wrote:
Just moved and am looking for home telephone service that is reliable
and inexpensive.
Any of you been there and done that recently?
Would appreciate your experiences in finding and using alternative home
telephone service providers.
Thanks for your help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

vic wrote:
Just moved and am looking for home telephone service that is reliable
and inexpensive.
Any of you been there and done that recently?
Would appreciate your experiences in finding and using alternative home
telephone service providers.
Thanks for your help!

Here in Pennsylvania, I use Cavalier for phone and DSL. Both items are
near $50 / month and the DSL speeds are very fast. For that price, the
phone came with voice mail, caller ID, call waiting, *69, etc. No
problems with service interuptions since installing 8 months ago.

I had Verizon before that. I paid around $70 for slower service,
limits on my calling, no features, and a company with which I can't
stand to do business.

It's amaizing what can happen when just a little competetion enters the
marketplace.

For long distance service, look into www.ZoneLD.com They offer 5 cent
/ minute calling around the clock, credit card billing, Internet
interface. I had them for 4 years with no problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

vic wrote:
Just moved and am looking for home telephone service that is reliable
and inexpensive.
Any of you been there and done that recently?
Would appreciate your experiences in finding and using alternative
home telephone service providers.
Thanks for your help!

As for reliability, it's a toss-up between hard-wired local telephone
service and a cellphone.

Cost definitely favors VoIP via some flavor of high-speed internet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
wrote:

I think the local phone utility in Khazakstan would be a good choice.

ARGH!! [sputtering] [ROFL]

They just announced a new innovation: Touchtonetm!
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

As for reliability, it's a toss-up between hard-wired local telephone
service and a cellphone.

Cost definitely favors VoIP via some flavor of high-speed internet.

In the event of a major power outage cell phones backup power is much
more limited than hard wired phones. also in max use like a disaster,
cell hones will lock out everyone except emergency workers. its
programmed in your phone at activation.

sometimes DSL works even when POTS is out, plain old telephone service
is POTS.......

in such a case VOIP may be better

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
" wrote:

sometimes DSL works even when POTS is out

It's true.

That was a big surprise for me when first learning to install/repair DSL
service. DSL works (albeit a little "flaky") with one side of the pair open
or the pair shorted.
--

JR

Mean Evil Bell System