Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Finishing trim on a new shower?

Just finished installing a shower in an existing bathroom that previously had
only toilet & sink.

1-piece shower shell placed in corner against 2 existing sheet rock walls.
Added floor-to-ceiling stud wall on 3rd side of shower.

I've calked and screwed the shell to the 3 walls. Now I'm not sure what the
best way is to trim above the shell and along the front edges where it is
attached to the 2 side walls.

I've been considering furring out the walls above the shell (from the top of
the shell to the ceiling) and gluing some of that 1/8 inch panel stuff
(fiberglass?) that is used in commercial restrooms. Ideas?

Photos to follow.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Sparky

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Photos he
http://img4.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img4/27/IMG_0033.jpg
http://img4.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img4/27/IMG_0034_001.jpg
http://img4.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img4/27/IMG_0037_000.jpg
http://img4.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img4/27/IMG_0038_002.jpg

The molded edge all around the top of the shower shell is about 1 inch deep.

And yes, I'm going to add a door. (c:

Sparky.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"SparkyGuy" wrote in message
news.net...
Just finished installing a shower in an existing bathroom that previously
had
only toilet & sink.

1-piece shower shell placed in corner against 2 existing sheet rock walls.
Added floor-to-ceiling stud wall on 3rd side of shower.

I've calked and screwed the shell to the 3 walls. Now I'm not sure what
the
best way is to trim above the shell and along the front edges where it is
attached to the 2 side walls.

I've been considering furring out the walls above the shell (from the top
of
the shell to the ceiling) and gluing some of that 1/8 inch panel stuff
(fiberglass?) that is used in commercial restrooms. Ideas?

Photos to follow.

All suggestions welcome.

Uh, you do know that lip is supposed to go under the sheetrock layer,
right? And mud up to the corner?

Anything you do at this point is going to look like a kludge, but there are
degrees of kludge. Like the other guy said, a row of tile, or maybe check
with local counter shop and see about some strips of granite or marble, or
even Corian solid-surface material, to trim it out. Ideally, you'd like to
get them with a kerf to cover the fiberglass lip, so they would sit square.
Install with adhesive, and seal edges with suitable caulk.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

"SparkyGuy" wrote in message

All suggestions welcome.

Read instructions b/4 installing, since you don't know what you're doing.

Man, I hate to say this, but your installation belongs he
http://www.thisoldhouse.com:80/toh/t...569371,00.html

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

I vote for furring out all the walls around this thing to within 1/4" of
flush, then use an accent tile trim. You haven't shown a picture looking
down, so I assume that isn't a problem.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

"SparkyGuy" wrote in message
news.net...
[...]

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

I know you aren't going to like either of these suggestions, but there
are 2 ways that I can think of to make this look right:

1 - Hard Core Fix: Remove the unit. Remove enough of the drywall on the
2 finished walls to allow you to install the unit correctly - the
flange should be attached to the studs. Assuming this unit is already
plumbed in, you will also have to re-plumb it. You'll also have to fir
out the new stud wall because the unit will no longer reach this wall
once it is set back against the studs. Once it is install correctly,
hire a plasterer to fill in around the flange. Don't try to fill it in
with drywall mud...it's guaranteed to crack if used in such a thick
amount.
Of course, this assumes that you did not use a bed of concrete under
the shower base. If you did, ignore this suggestion and consider
suggestion # 2.

2 - Soft Core Fix: Put a 1/4" layer of drywall over the exiting drywall
to cover the flange like it is supposed to be covered, Obviously you'll
need mud along the ceiling and in all the corners, but when it's done,
it'll look like it is supposed to. Of course, this assumes that
whatever is up against or attached to the long wall that we can't see
won't prevent the installation of another layer of drywall.

Good luck!

SparkyGuy wrote:
Just finished installing a shower in an existing bathroom that previously had
only toilet & sink.

1-piece shower shell placed in corner against 2 existing sheet rock walls.
Added floor-to-ceiling stud wall on 3rd side of shower.

I've calked and screwed the shell to the 3 walls. Now I'm not sure what the
best way is to trim above the shell and along the front edges where it is
attached to the 2 side walls.

I've been considering furring out the walls above the shell (from the top of
the shell to the ceiling) and gluing some of that 1/8 inch panel stuff
(fiberglass?) that is used in commercial restrooms. Ideas?

Photos to follow.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Sparky

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Just finished installing a shower in an existing bathroom that
previously had only toilet & sink.
1-piece shower shell placed in corner against 2 existing sheet rock
walls. Added floor-to-ceiling stud wall on 3rd side of shower.
I've calked and screwed the shell to the 3 walls. Now I'm not sure
what the best way is to trim above the shell and along the front edges
where it is attached to the 2 side walls.

Cedar trim.

Paint the wall first, then rabbet the back side of the trim so it sits flat
over the shower flange, nail it up (careful not to nail through the shower
flange), and cover with a couple of coats of spar urethane.

Normally, you wouldn't want to use wood near a shower, but this should be
outside the majority of the wet areas. In any case, the cedar would hold up
better than the drywall in the area.

Installing trim would also let you remove and replace the shower stall
easily in the future if you needed to (let's hope that's not any time
soon).

Of course, you could paint the trim to match your room, or use a router to
create a decorative profile. Your choice.

Anthony
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

In article ,
HerHusband wrote:

Paint the wall first, then rabbet the back side of the trim so it sits flat
over the shower flange, nail it up (careful not to nail through the shower
flange), and cover with a couple of coats of spar urethane.

Put one coat of urethane on before you nail it up and cover all six
sides of the trim. Apply additional coats after it is in place.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Actually I've worked in cities where it is code to have a 5/8 firewall
behind any enclosure. So the installation would go as Spartky has
started. Drywall then tub or shower surround. Then drywall or cement
board over. I have adopted this installation method as my own. I'll
never get busted for code - no matter where I'm working. & I don't see
anything bad about having an uninterupted firewall.

wrote:
"SparkyGuy" wrote in message
news.net...
[...]

Finishing trim work tips? gntry Home Repair 2 June 27th 06 05:51 PM
Looking for trim lemmy UK diy 4 May 5th 06 09:04 AM
Using a trim router bit on 1x2x8 oak trim? N Hurst Woodworking 10 March 1st 06 06:51 PM
Will a flush trim bit plow thru or trim one edge only? bent Woodworking 4 March 1st 06 11:53 AM
Need advice on finishing cabinet and trim Mike Home Repair 1 January 15th 05 09:20 AM