Posted to alt.home.repair
gntry

Default Finishing trim work tips?

Any one have any tips for getting good clean "returns" for finishing base
board or chair rail moulding? I can never seem to make the right cuts for
ending the moulding. I keep ending up with gaps and it makes a rather good
job end up sloppy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

gntry wrote:
Any one have any tips for getting good clean "returns" for finishing base
board or chair rail moulding? I can never seem to make the right cuts for
ending the moulding. I keep ending up with gaps and it makes a rather good
job end up sloppy.

Start with a good blade designed for finish work.
Make your first cut at the appropriate angle (usually 45)
Put masking tape on the table of your saw, then draw a line where you
place your trim for the second cut. Now you have a reference point to
adjust the cut if it doesn't fit.
Better to cut the piece a little bit small then to force it in.

Try posting to rec.woodworking, someone there may have a few tricks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gntry wrote:
Any one have any tips for getting good clean "returns" for finishing base
board or chair rail moulding? I can never seem to make the right cuts for
ending the moulding. I keep ending up with gaps and it makes a rather good
job end up sloppy.

I like to cut a slightly too long return piece with a power miter saw
and then glue it to the molding before attaching the molding to the
wall.

Next, take a belt sander and slowly nibble away the excess return
length until it is perfectly flush to the back of the main molding
piece. It makes for a flawless return.